Simple home made incidence/wing twist checker.

There are commercial incidence tools available, but being a cheap-skate ......

The 'tool' could be made in many materials, this one is in Depron, but keep it as light as possible so as not to 'influence' the wing.

It's ideal for a check on the incidence, (set the tail level, and 'clip' the tool on the wing), also for checking for any unwanted twist along a wing checking at various places along the wing, and for checking for wash-out, not wash-in.

The pictures hopefully explain, accuracy is down to the user, (I normally use TLAR) --

Left hand leg fixed, right hand leg can slide along for different chord widths.

incidence1 (1).jpg

A longer 'swing pointer' gives greater accuracy.

incidence1 (2).jpg

Add some marks for reference, degree markings if that way inclined.

incidence1 (3).jpg

One leg can slide along to accommadate different chord widths.

incidence1 (4).jpg

Here's a super crude one if needed in an emergency, more suitable for a flat bottom wing.

incidence.jpg

It has come in handy a few times where the usual 'eyeball' check wasn't sure.

Ray.

An even better material for this will be paper covered foamboard/artboard. Not too heavy for this application and significantly more durable. I still have several sheets here and am about to nip out to a local shop that had some on offer the other day. (I was on my bicycle at the time and it was a breezy day so I didn't get then)

Edited By Chuck Plains on 24/04/2015 18:19:53

As an aside that paper covered foam board can be useful for spars etc in Depron builds. It is I am led to believe another form of depron and is used a lot in the States and is available from dollar stores and art suppliers. might be worth a try if in plentiful supply. Maybe our p ound stores will have it in the stationery dept. If any one in Prestatyn area finds a source would you let us know. Ta Much

Posted by onetenor on 24/04/2015 20:05:46:

As an aside that paper covered foam board can be useful for spars etc in Depron builds. It is I am led to believe another form of depron and is used a lot in the States and is available from dollar stores and art suppliers. might be worth a try if in plentiful supply. Maybe our p ound stores will have it in the stationery dept. If any one in Prestatyn area finds a source would you let us know. Ta Much

Heh, I came into this hobby having been inspired by Ed at Experimental Airlines on Youtube. Yes they are lucky to have that "Dollar Tree" stuff. A1 sized boards for a dollar each!!!!! I missed getting out to the shop early enough today, so I'll try it tomorrow afternoon. Not sure if they are shifting stock or what, but £2.50 per A1 board is too good to miss. The only other difference between this and the American stuff is, you can't peel the paper off.

• 1 month later...

Hobby King have a range of reasonably priced inclinometers used for flybarless heli setting that could easily be adapted for F/W purposes.

I have a Robart incidence meter that I bought twenty years ago, shame they're not available here anymore.