Gangster 52

I have been given what appears to be Gangster52 in its original box. Most of the parts appear to be present but no instructions. If anybody has a set of instructions I could copy and return I would be very grateful. I have contacted Mick Reeves Models but they are unsure if they have any and could take a while to search.

i think it's an early version as the fuselage sides appear to be a butt joint rather than a finger joint if that makes sense. The wings are foam veneered and measure at 25inches without tips etc.

Any help, hints or tips much appreciated. Last question, should have been the first, is it worth building?

Neil

Advert

Neil,

Build it,they fly a treat, never had a 52 but I'm on my 3rd one which is the 63 lite, a good all round model that has stood the test of time,best model Mick reeves designed in my opinion.

Edited By Jim Carss on 04/05/2015 10:05:14

I'll give you tenner for it. devil

Seriously though, if you get it built it'll be a wonderful sport plane. This was my first 'full house' model way back when, and was powered by a HP 40 Silver Star engine complete with it's venturi exhaust system. Very fast and very noisy seem to be my prominent recollections of it. laugh

Here's a very faded photo of it: image.jpg

Neil. It most certainly is worth building. They are legendary. There will as you have already seen plenty of modellers of a certain vintage who will bite your hand off to get hold of that model. It will probably be the finest sport model you will ever owb

yes the butt joint. That's fine it's reinforced with ply laminate. I am not in a position to look for the instructions for a couple of days but if you still need them pm me and I will have a hunt later in the week for you

i have recently built the lite weight 63 and after the maiden flight someone asked me if it was ok My reply was. It's a Gangster that reply meant everything to all the old timers there and nothing to newer artf types. I bet the grin on my face said it all though. If I was only allowed one model guess what it would be. Anyway I think I have the instructions but they may be for the 63 inch spitfire. They would help though as the spit is only an elliptical winged Gangster

Fantastic aeroplane... One of the best of its era and if built accurately is as good as any sport model today. I have had two - I would love another. Just make sure the fuselage is straight and you don't twist the wings when you join them

Martyn

Hi guys, many thanks for your contributions, hints and tips - I didn't realise I had acquired such an interesting kit. Mick Reeves has come up with a set of instructions so will be staring the build soon as. Thanks to those who offered to look for a copy, much appreciated.

When I was looking around the web I did find a site based in Belgium called www.avonds.com which sells vintage kits. If you look under the vintage tab on the left and page down to other kits you will find a gangster 52 on sale for 125 euros! If you collect vintage kits he has an interesting selection for sale.

Thanks again, Neil

2099 forum posts
34 photos
Ah yes, the Gangster 52, always worth a flutter........

good point there. I suggest when you build it you don't take the strip aelerons right to the wing tip. They are prone to aeleron flutter. Cut a couple of inches off them and glue to the outside edge of the trailing edge. It prevents that scary flutter noise and is kinder to the hinges