fuel proofing & engine mount

barry ford

hello to all,

i am just starting out and have purchased and started to build my plane a ripmax 40,i have read through the instructions and have noticed that there is no mention of fuel proofing the plane when complete. many years ago i built my son a precedent hi boy and i had to fuel proof that. do they not need it on ARTF types or is this an ommission in the manual, seems strange i thought it might be safer to proof it.  any advice please?

whilst i am at it the engine i am putting in is an SC46A which is a bit tight in the mount provided will this matter or should i cut / thin the railsto give a clearance or a different mount . anyone used this combination if so what did you do.

cant wait to finish it now & i am chomping a the bit to see it fly(hopefully for more than a few seconds)

Advert

Hi Barry and welcome.

Is that the blue Ripmax trainer ? All modern ARTF trainers are film covered and the film is fuel proof so you've nothing to do

Some flyers add a layer of fuel proofer around the tank and engine bay areas as a precaution but some kits have this task done at the factory.

The engine may be tight but as long as the bearers are straight then you should be ok. In other words as long as you're not forcing the bearers apart in any way then all's well. You can shave a few slivers off the bearers but it's not really adviseable as there's a danger you'll weaken them.  

Hope all goes well, have you joined a local club?

Don't forget to fill in your profile

Hi David

thanks for your reply

Yes its the RIPMAX 40 TRAINER

Would it be advisable to fuel proof anwhere that might have a bit of exposed wood where the film has been cut away.

with regards to the engine mount i have just taken some measurements , The opening between the mount arms is 33mm and my SC46A engine is 34mm wide which does obviously cause them to spread.If i could grind a small piece away to give clearance would you think it would weaken the mount. The one supplied is made of plastic . Also the arms are 10mm wide and the distance between centre of mounting holes is 44mm. would this cause any problems.your suggetions would be much appreciated.

Iam about to join my local club in Hastings so they can teach me to fly properly.

many thanks

Barry