Westland Wagtail

Jeff Langley

Just wondering if anyone is building Cyril Carr's Westland Wagtail. I fancy a stab at it, but am a total newbie to both electric & depron.

Any advice on forming depron as required by the Wagtail build (to tape or not to tape etc.) would be well appreciated, or even pointing in the direction of already available info.

Many thanks,

Jeff Langley.

Advert

Hi Jeff

I am building the wagtail and have almost completed the fuz. Forming the depron was the bit I most dreaded it sit is really quite easy. I found that you must tape up the outside face with parcel tape. To shape it just roll the depron over the top of a piece of tube with your hands. Take your time and it will curve.I found it easier to remove the curves of the formers and then build the fuz upside down top. That way you have a clear datum line..

Graham

I really like the look of this and have the confidence with Depron to see that it is a practical build. There is no chance of fitting this one in yet, but I'm keeping the plan and perhaps can get back to it later. I look forward to seeing one of these, very nice model design. Good luck Graham, Jeff, can't see any need to worry about it. If you fancy it, just go ahead. Depron is easier than balsa in my experience so far.

Thanks Guys, that makes me a bit more confident! To quote the modern "in" phrase, "going forward" hugely in my case, I get the drift with taping before moulding, but probably an equally daft question, does the tape stay on permanently to be painted etc., or removed prior to fitting?

Quite agree on the Wagtail being as pretty as a picture, & looking at Cyril's fotos, even in PC 10 garb, it's a stand out little plane. It's just something that really takes my fancy, & seems to offer a big variation in achieving the result, even allowing for my lust for lots of wings, string & a big fan on the front!

• 6 months later...

imag0327.jpgHi folks, sorry a bit late ....yes I have built the free plan Westland Wagtail from Cyril Carr's plans...it took a bit of fettling to shape the nose section and get all the rigging sorted..but it does fly very well and slowly too here are a couple of pictures.

All the best

Rayimag0278.jpg

Edited By Raymond Richards on 31/12/2015 13:50:54

Well done Ray, that's a little beauty in anyones book! I'm well impressed with the completed parts foto, & as I said initially even in PC10 garb it's as pretty as a picture. It ranks well up with another curio favourite of mine, the Fairey "Flycatcher", which looks as though someone has trodden on the fuselage!

Can't wait for the flying piccies Ray, always assuming you're not in an area blessed with "we've spent zillions of pounds on these flood defences" situations, like some poor sods are suffering. Anyway, Happy New Year to all, may it bring all you wish for yourselves & yours and more.

Best regards, Jeff.

Posted by Jeff Langley on 01/01/2016 11:34:52:

Well done Ray, that's a little beauty in anyones book! I'm well impressed with the completed parts foto, & as I said initially even in PC10 garb it's as pretty as a picture. It ranks well up with another curio favourite of mine, the Fairey "Flycatcher", which looks as though someone has trodden on the fuselage!

Can't wait for the flying piccies Ray, always assuming you're not in an area blessed with "we've spent zillions of pounds on these flood defences" situations, like some poor sods are suffering. Anyway, Happy New Year to all, may it bring all you wish for yourselves & yours and more.

Best regards, Jeff.

Thx so much for the kind words Jeff, I posted some better photos.......seems like I had dust on my phone no Anyway I am a Brit living and working in Holland...and these guys know all about water and how to deal with it smiley, so no worries there...just the bloody wind and rain.. enough to dampen anyones stick and tissue : crying will get some flying piccys soon as.......have a good one !! \

R

Edited By Raymond Richards on 02/01/2016 10:57:38

Hi Ray,

The new piccies look great! Given your current whereabouts, I'd be inclined to invest an hour or two in knocking out a pair of floats Mate!

That little aircraft is a delight Ray, you should be well chuffed with the result, in fact there could be more correspondence flying you way for advice when I get round to making a start. Oh, I would warn you though, as it's such a lovely job, there appears to be some bloke in your living room about to snatch it!

Best regards, Jeff.

Thanks again Jeff, Yeah, water issues, floats would actually look quite nice on the little green aeroplane and there are stories over here about various fingers in various Dykes...but I don't enquire as to the details

I didn't notice the fat bloke in the window...ugly critter to be sure..cool...On the Wagtail, I'm happy to help in any way I can...not that I'm smart....just make a lot of mistakes that's all......and maybe I can save you the trouble of making the same ones

Cheers for now

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the offer of some clues as to building in Depron, I'm surprised that with amount of info there must be about it appears so difficult with forums/websites/build articles etc. to get that info. Consequently, as a total plastic newbie I'm struggling, & don't want to chance my arm in staring something.

For instance, the best way to form thin sheet into an aerofoil that will hold shape when removed from the former & the tape removed to apply chosen finish. Most of the bumff I've read assumes you're just going to substitute balsa with Depron, still utilising ribs, spars etc. & cover with thin Depron sheet. Likewise with fuzes it's largely relevant to block foam procedures in carving a shape rather than building one up. Easier to comprehend I suppose, but so little written detail in writing that I've found.

Although I'm not about to clear local supplies of Depron (see above & apply "measure twice, cut once" procedures!), if you've any info/guidance you can pass on when time permits, or even sources of The Black Art of Using Depron I'd be extremely grateful. Also any knowledge/ experience of transferring depron to trad. balsa builds procedures I'd be very interested, a lustful eye on Pete Rake's wonderful airforce rages here! Anyway, enough rabbitting, thanks for your time, hopefully speak soon,

Best regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff, I will compile some YouTube stuff etc for you.....I found a few that were really useful.

An example is:

http://diyfoamplane.com/tutorial-side/77-how-to-bend-polyfoam-or-depron

In the meantime Keith Parks is a master of foam building, albeit using hot wire cutters etc ...but his results are amazing... he has a book here that might be worth a look

https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=644

I bent the aerofoil shape of the wings on the Wagtail by putting tape on the outside and rolling with my wife's rolling pin !!! Sophisticated tooling !! . They kept their shape !!! The curve on this models wings is not that critical, just so long as all the wings are roughly the same. And once they are rigged with the bracing etc they are suprisingly strong ! 

Anyway. more later

cheers for now

Ray

Edited By Raymond Richards on 06/01/2016 18:48:58

Thanks Ray, I've had a quick butchers at the sites, & it would appear that Keith Parks' book is reprinted & now available from Sam's Models in the UK, so I'll be pursuing that after what you've said.

I'm well encouraged with the use of the Good Lady's rolling pin, they can do some serious damage in many areas, but it's good to know simple works. Keeping simplicity in mind, but stretching the limits a bit (!) I've got a heat gun so wonder if sensible heat application might allow a more positive deformation & shape retention.

I now await your further pearls with expectation! Take care,

Cheers, Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ray, I don't know if you've seen it, but the new RCM&E has Cyril Carr's new model, an Airmachi high winger in Depron. The accompanying article has more info on Depron usage than anything I think I've seen! The plane looks very attractive too, a bit more adventurous in that it has ailerons, but a nice model & many of the techniques for Depron involved.

I'm trying to make up my mind whether to start the Wagtail as a "longer term" build while I'm building a Flair Legionnaire I've had for years & am finally making a start on.

Looking forward to word on your Wagtail flying Ray, & further info!

Best regards, Jeff.

• 3 months later...

Hi I have decided to build the wagtail can anyone help . I have studied the plan & there are a few thing I can't get my head round ,the main issue is the elevator,it doesn't appear to be joined & one side is showing a closed loop & the other is showing a dummy servo can anyone explain any help & I would be grateful before I start

Cheers, Roy Beckitt

Roy

I'm building one as well, I think the elevator should be joined with a skewer or some sort, mine is anyway.

I think the dummy servo is just a 'bobbin' as such and the thread to the elevator control horn loops around it .

I was puzzled too but took the plunge!

David Shanahan