Taranis Gyro Setup

Ben Kelly

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Taranis X9D to replace my old futaba radio however i wanted to know if anyone here could help me set up my Multiplex Multi Gyro G3 with the new radio.

I am being baffled by how to set up a 3 way switch to lets say, channel 5, to set the gyro to the 'Off' 'Stabilise' and 'Heading Hold' settings and the gyro is not even recognising any switch inputs.

If anyone can give me some step by step instructions it would be amazingly helpful.

Thanks,

Ben.

Advert

Hi Ben,

Check out the painless 360 channel on youtube, he has a whole series on setting up the Taranis. Not sure he specifically covers that gyro but he has some very clear step by step instructions on setting up channels and mixes.

AJ.

I think you should be able to simply assign the switch as the input to ch5 in the mixers page. Weight as 100, offset as zero, notrim. You can assign a curve to adjust the channel output for the three switch positions, something I do when setting up retracts.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 08/07/2015 10:32:56

Yeah, i wasn't sure whether it would be the mixing page or the inputs page. It's taking some time to get used to this radio because it is such a big change from my old 6EX.

It was the Gyro instructions that were confusing me too as they are not the easiest to follow. As far as i'm aware the gyro is constantly switched on but the 'Off' position on whatever 3 way switch i select should just bypass the gyro.

i was trying to set it up last night but the gyro would not initialize and i think this is because the receiver could not tell the gyro what switch to use.

indecision

Hopefully i can get a chance this evening to sit and go through it step by step.

OK lets go.

Switch Tx on then short press MENU to bring up model selection page. Check the model you want to work on is selected. (has a star alongside)

Short press PAGE until you get to the MIXER page. (Page 5/12)

Scroll down to CH5 (using the - button). Then a long press on ENT takes you into the INSERT MIX screen.

Give the mix a name if you want to, but there's no real need.

Scroll to Source then short press ENT so that block alongside the word Source is flashing.

Operate the switch that you'd like to control the Gyro, that should change the letters in the flashing block, to the name of the switch.

Short press exit to stop the flashing. Leave everything else, so Weight = 100 Offset = 0 Switch = - - -.

Keep pressing EXIT to get back to the main Tx screen, then pres PAGE until you get to the CHANNEL MONITOR

Check that operating the switch you assigned, alters CH5 between -100, 0 and 100.

I've just done this with a Multiplex MULTIGyro G3 and it switches between Normal, Off, and Heading Hold. Just fine.

Wow, thanks for the instructions Chris. I have followed them and now I have the switch registered as a channel.

My next problem is difficult to describe so here is a video I filmed to show you. I know my gyro isn't secured in the plane yet but I wanted to test it out before any fixings were made. Again, any help greatly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/JJMSuDj1xYY

(Sorry, on mobile so I can't link it properly)

Edited By Ben Kelly on 08/07/2015 23:43:43

Hi Ben

I'm only guessing here but it seemed to take quite a long time for the Rx LED to go green.

Is it possible that during that time, the gyro looked for a signal but saw none, so it gave up?

I'd be looking at why it took so long for the Tx-Rx connection to be established. Have the tx on for a few seconds before powering the plane. Also, have the Tx say, a metre away from the Rx. That green light should appear very quickly after switching the Rx on.

Ok Chris i will try again with the Tx further away. The Rx did keep going from green to red and the radio saying that the telemetry was lost which actually made me question whether i'd want to use it in my models with it struggling for a signal at such a short range.

Thanks,

Ben

I'll have to wait until after the weekend to try again now as I've got all my planes currently set up and ready for the Greenacres fun fly this weekend.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and I'll keep you posted with the results.

Ben.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, i know its been a bit delayed but my update on my Gyro fiasco is short and simple.

I still can't get it to work. I'm even trying another FrSky receiver just incase but that gets the same results.

At this point i'm really stumped and i have no idea where to go next.

Quick update.

I have had to send the Gyro back to get a replacement as i am (and the shop owner is) 90% certain that it is faulty.

Chris i have tried what you said, i took out the gyro, got everything set up as normal and checked all the control surfaces for correct movement and direction. Then when i re introduced the gyro, again nothing happens, the gyro will not initialise and i have no control of any of the surfaces.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions. yes