Turnigy 9X range issues?

Correct Mike! An early issue with the micro usb socket breaking off the little board put me off plugging anything in again, though Steven did send a new one promptly.

My board just had small gold pads with a hole in for connecting the internal RF module; should there have been physical pins? As far as I can tell visually it's connected OK. Sure there's a multimeter way of confirming that.....

On that subject, (and with the schematic to scare me), I shall persevere with my multimeter under your benevolent guidance!

One question on updating firmware is how many hands do I need to access bootloader mode if the TX is ON as soon as the battery is connected??

Allan

Advert

The board never had any pins on the expansion grid.

Probably 3 hands needed for bootloader mode! Possibly you could temporarily wire a switch in the battery leads.

First test, with the battery disconnected, unplug J4 (the 6-way connector in the middle at the top of the board. THe pins are numbered from the left 1-6. Using a resistance measurement, measure the resistance between pins 2 and 3. Try the measurement with the leads both ways round as there are 2 MOSFETs in the circuit with opposing (parasitic) diodes. We are checking for one or both being a short circuit, You should get no, or a very high, resistance.

Mike

Please try plugging J4 back in, then connect the battery. What battery voltage is reported on the main display (and what battery are you using)?

Then switch the power switch on, then off. In theory, the firmware should detect the power switch going off and try to shut down, displaying "SHUTTING DOWN", even if it doesn't actually power off.

If you can get into the bootloader (trims inwards at power on), then I can build a special test version of the firmware that can display some information that might help locate this problem.

Mike

J4 plugged in, connect battery, main screen shows 11.1 v using the Turnigy 3S 2.65ah Lipo Tx battery pack.

Switch ON then OFF, no "shutting down" msg. The faint warbling sound just gets a little louder with switch ON.

Sure there'll be a way to get into bootloader......

Thanks again for your interest and time!

Allan

Happy Sunday Mike.

Now this is where it gets difficult..... Down loaded eepe and eepskye from er9x website to get the latest version and arrived at the place I reached 3 years ago. Nothing will install or run with a string of error messages "error opening file for writing" That's where I got to before so to answer your question, "no".

Allan

Update: borrowed a laptop, eepskye downloaded and installed in Windows.

Rigged up a switch in battery leads. With Tx switch OFF, and trims held to centre, battery switch ON, no bootloader screen.

With Tx switch ON, trims to centre, battery switch ON, we're in bootloader!

Now to connect laptop and read eeprom.

Next is to flash new ersky9x?

A little more feedback:

After ejecting the Tx SD card from laptop, I used the Tx switch to turn it off, leaving the battery still connected. The screen went blank as if the Tx switch was working. Then I noticed a very faint glow from the backlight of the blank screen! Turning the Tx switch back on didn't produce a splash screen, just the word "9extreme" in small font mid screen. No buttons changed that.

Another point occurred to me: earlier, before rigging up the extra supply switch, when plugging in the battery, the Tx came on immediately with the main screen ie no splash or alert screens.

Allan

OK, there seems to be a basic bit of knowledge missing from my brain.

I have the test file displayed, and when I open it, eepe is the default screen that pops up.

With eepskye opened I try and open the test file using the dialogue boxes and burn to Tx. All seems to happen successfully, but the version is still 2015!!! So you are correct.

So what am I burning to the TX????

How do I get the test file opened for eepskye to use it?