X Blade 1.9 or Erwin D.S.

Advert

The erwin is way way way cooler and, from what i've hear a better plane than the blade....... I can't see a good reason to buy a carbon blade for 380 when you can get an erwin for similar money.....

you might also want to consider the Opus.  www.sloperacer.co.uk  the heay lay up versions are cabable of serious DS speeds. 

Chalk and cheese. The quality of the Erwin is a country mile past the Blade but I suspect the Blade would make a better sport model for you especially if this is your first 2m mouldy. I'm not a big Blade fan - they are a roughly built and just don't do it for me in the air. The lack of dihedral on the Erwin and the tricky fit out might put you off it a little. It's not for everyone and can be difficuly to orientate.

Neither are as nice to fly as the elusive Luna and none are as good as the Opus full stop. That said you can't scratch around 'happily' with the Opus  and you shouldn't consider the heavy lay ups unless you routinely plan to fly above 200mph - they just don't like going slow. Stick with the heavy glass for big frontside air.

Don't however overlook the 2.5m span Big Bird... http://www.t9hobbysport.com/Big%20Bird.asp

Andy

(Who has flown them all)

• 2 weeks later...

SImple really - Having had my hands on one (and in the current Euro market) £360 for a glass big bird is a lot of model for not much money. In the world of moulded gliders you really do get what you pay for most of the time. you certainly get the model you deserve! The Big Bird seems to bend the rules a little and has better quality and performance than I would expect to get for that amount of cash. It tracks like it is on rails and has a turn of speed that will keep it with the rest of the pack up to a point.

There is always a bigger fish and I do think that the big bird will fall from favour as a racer when it just doesn;t have the size to stay with the like of the Freestyler (£1000+) but for a sport model of this size it's got to be worth a second look.

Normally in this size I would always, always point people in the direction of the Compact Wizard. It will take something special to take it's 2.5m crown, but a stock glass one will cost you £600+ at todays exchange rates. You'll proably get a big bird quicker too!

Andy

Once again Andy and Tom thanks for your time answering my questions.

Can I ask you one more question then I will leave you in peace.

Please give me your views on the Opus.

Once again thanks. David. 

p.s. Then thanks to you both I will buy one of them with confidence!

3 shillings and sixpence will get you the bubblewrap off my tailplane Eric!

Opus? Fantastic model - RG14 wing - rare these days. Quality about the best around. Gap seals on wing and tail and hellishly strong. Avoid the carbon versions unless you plan to DS. The glass VDS is still quite heavy but will thermal. You'll not like it in under 10mph though unless you have a great slope. I've flown mine in 80+mph and it loves it. Wing mounted ballast and a tricky fit out for the radio gear.  No nose cone or canopy you see. Replace the tailplane bolts with steel, don't mix flap with aileron for roll (gap seals too big to permit much up flap, add a little snap flap on flap ony and don't flat spin it inverted if you want to get out quickly!

The Opus used to be the favoured F3F starter model in the states before they established ways to get european models cheaper.

The glass VDS is good in DS to around 180mph. MC3 and MCT versions not really happy below 200!

Electric version uses a different fuz and is called the Colt.

The one piece 2metre wing might cause you some shipping problems at the moment if Ian Mason at www.slope-racer.co.uk doesn't have any in. I know he's got an order of DS heavies coming through soon so you might be able to jump onto that one if you're quick. Don't know what the wait time is though, but worth waiting for nevertheless......

HS85MG servos all round have served me well in mine but you'll need some standard sized Hitec servo arms and not the crappy little ones that come with the micros as standard.

In short the Opus is about the best quality, Fastest, strongest 2 metre glass ship on the market.

A good all rounder but not really happy scratching in really light stuff.

Where are you based - you might get a chance to go see some of these in person if you;re near me!

Andy

Andy Ellison wrote (see)

The 2.9m Air One will be out soon too Tom - You'll be spoilt for choice!

Isn't it about time you put some proper money down though mate?

Here's me thinking that the freestyler proves you don't have to spend a fortune!

If you're going to spend a large amount of coin, have a look at the aeromod miraj. They are a superb plane. that said, overpriced at south coast sailplanes.  

Hello Andy,

I live in South Cumbria, My son and I were thinking about going somewhere to  see the likes of yourself and see if we can pick up some tips especially d.s.ing and types of models used.

Maybe  you could let me know where to go or better still where you and your mates go?

Thanks again for your advice David.

Hi David, just noticed that you live in S.Cumbria. How far in the deep south are you? Im on the West Coast, in Workington  Copeland Model Club are holding a glider fly in in August if you are interested.  Im still trying to persuade Andy to come along

More info here

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/3942/V/6/SP/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854227

http://copelandmodelclub.org

i'm not a big fan of the X-chodels range either...... never fancied the way they fliy. the carbon versions are way over priced as well.........  seen some dodgy quality on them too....

you live you learn though. we've all had planes we wish we hadn't bought.......  

• 1 month later...

The Big Bird is very interesting ... but you can get an Erwin for that price ...  

Everyone has their own views but here's my ha'penny worth ... I don't really like gliders bigger than 2 metres because they become a bit more cumbersome in the air, slower to roll etc.  I don't like much dihedral because it can make the plane flop about a bit, whereas a flat winged plane will do exactly what you tell it.  I like a nice fast manoeuvrable plane that doesn't catch me out. 

I'm not an expert flyer, just an intermediate flyer, but I find that if I have a plane that does exactly what I tell it to, I'm better at avoiding crashes.  So I like the Erwin.

The Erwin's build quality is fantastic - what a marvel of carbon craftmanship - and it's mostly pre-built so it's not hard to put together.  Except that I did find it a bit of a pain fitting the bits into that tight fuselage, it took ages of jiggling and re-thinking before I got that to work. 

And last but not least, those other planes just look rather ordinary compared to the Erwin...

The fact is that any of the planes Andy lists will serve you well, so you can't go wrong really.  But don't be tempted to spend huge money, stay in the Big Bird / Erwin type price range.

The more I think about it, the Big Bird might be the most logical choice ... it just seems odd to spend that on a Chinese plane when you can get a manly black carbon Erwin, a proper Austrian uber-plane, for the same amount ...

It depends on what your expectations are. I would expect to have to glue the fuselage together on moulded model.  The erwin is good for the money, but you still have to install pushrods etc. 

There's nowt wrong with spending good money on a model if it does what you want and you get the return on how it flies.  

I like gliders over 2 meters. They are very fast and better all round soarers.