Covering for a built up wing

Hi everyone,

Please can someone advise me on what is the best covering for built up wings,

I have an old KK Elmira that I have had to do a lot of work on the wings and now at the covering stage. I fly from a very heavily grossed site and don't want to keep having to patching holes.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Many Thanks

Steve.

Advert

Depends on the weight you want to carry

The most common covering is an iron on film - the stuff on the Hobbyking website is well priced and good stuff

Other ways include sheeting it in balsa then glassing it - the older techniques are also still valid using shrinking dope and nylon/silk etc

If you're after a traditional tissue paper/dope type finish try Solarfilm LiteSpan. It doesn't come pre-glued however so BalsaLock is applied to the structure before covering.

I find it much tougher than Tissue paper, more tear resistant than Solarfilm but not as tough as Solartex. It does look very trad though.

Ian

Hi Steve

Solartex may be a bit heavy for the Elmira. If you haven't seen it, PM me your address and I'll post you a bit so you can judge for yourself. Personally, I would go with Litespan or World Models Lite-Tex (which is lighter and goes on better then Solarfilm).

M

Hi Martin, I have seen Solartex b4 used to use is on some of my powered models yrs ago. Im going to my local model shop tomorrow so will have a look at some of the different types and go from there. I just don't see the point in covering it only to have to keep patching it up up due to punctures from the gorse indecision

Thanks for the offer though mate thumbs up

Regards

Steve

I was going to say to use Solartex, but I see the Elmira has a D box and trailing edge sheet so it probably doesn't need the extra rigidity you get with 'Tex. Litespan does look good, very much like doped tissue in appearance but stronger. Quite flexible though - I covered a flair Sunrise with it. It looked great but the wing fluttered itself to bits one day when there was too much lift....

The Elmira is a 116" span glider ?, so quite a big girl.

At that size I would go for something like Solartex as well, I covered my Majestic Major 88" span in it, it's really nice stuff to work with and certainly gives a strong finish, similar to nylon.

The yellow is standard Solartex, the black is Glosstex as I want it a bit shiny, the Glosstex also pulls round curves nicely, as on the MM's nose.

mmajor15a.jpg

mmajora.jpg

Edited By eflightray on 31/07/2015 15:48:59