beginner needs VOLTAGE advice!!!!!!!!!

hi im a total beginer but am loving it all my querie is regards to rx voltages ie the 4.8v & 6v systems that are about. it would appear to me that the majority would run 4.8v whilst the 3D maniacs and large scale guy's need that bit more so generally opt for the 6v system. Please correct me if you think im wrong to say that it just seems to be what i have observed personaly

So can any one tell me what is it that decides if we go 4.8v or 6v then apart from size and type of aircraft used as surley even if its a .46 ic powered sunday hack it would benifit from the extra 1.2v and handling would be increased. or is it the case you just wouldnt see the benifit enough to justify the extra expense.

all it seems to be is you can either buy 4.8 or 6v just as easily an most servos recivers are rated to handle the 6v without any drama so why not use them????

It is the odd servo that doesnt like 6V not the receivers themselves, most of which will take even more than 6V-  spekky for instance is good up to 9V. One thing to watch for, and something many people misunderstand is that if you simply change from say a 1200mahr 4 cell battery in your model to a 1200mahr 5 cell battery, your duration will be LESS. Pumping the amps in with 6V pressure instead of 4.8V means higher current will flow, thereby draining your battery quicker.The only reason to use 6V packs is faster response times and higher torque from the servos - something that the average sunday flyer will never need or notice - especially the former.

Of course it also provides a little extra headroom for the voltage sensitive receivers such as Spekky, but the real culprit here is lack of CAPACITY not voltage.

once again thanks timbo for clearing that one up for me 4.8v will certainly be enough for what i need  then. Hoping to be able to finish getting all my radio gear sorted in the next week Then i got to actually by that plane a few accesories and its up up and away to the nearset tutor for some air time!!!!