School project.

Advert

It will be a challenge, but it will only be offered to a small number of students- I will probably start with 12, and then go from there.  I might well spend a few quid on a small glider just to get s started, but it seems to me that in the main (and I appreciate that I am generalising here) the structure of a small plane is very similar to the structure of a big plane, with many of the same construcion techniques employed.  It could well be argued that it is easier to manipulate a larger piece than a small fiddly one.  I remember my airfix days and trying to apply glue to pieces smaller than my finger tips was a disaster, but joining fuselage alves was straightforwards!

I also have a plan B here, as the technology department has a CAD cutter, so I plan to see them and see whether they can duplicate parts for me if they are needed.  At worst we will have a display model, not a flyable one, but I think that is pessimistic, and we can take our skills onto a new model afterwards.

Anyway, just spent £580 in Steve Webb models, who were very helpful, and I have everything I need- well almost as there are bound to be some bits I have forgotten.  Already remembered my Maggie had a switch under the wing so I coud turn it on/charge it without removing the wings, and I think I bought some access hatches for the wing servos too.  No doubt I will be buying bits throughout the year!!!

Thanks for that Jetsome,

One of the advantages of building big, is that actually the group can break up into smaller groups, so I can have one group doing each wing, 2 on the tail and one on the fuselage.  Because the plane is so large no one will feel their bit isn't important.  I would expect to lose a few by the time we get to putting the bits together, and they can probably share more then.  I remember last time I did this we did get some students bringing in small chuck gliders to build, and I would expect that to increase in year 2- again reducing the pressure on the "main" model.  The key will be not to have too many doing it at the start.

Of course there will be difficulties, but they are not insurmountable.  It's much better to have tried it than to write it off without having a go.  Even worst case scenario and it just not happening at all, the students will see what we are trying to do for them and appreciate it.  For many this will be their only opportunity, as the finances (or parental support) required to get a plane up in the air would be beyond them.  Even if it turns out to be a total disaster I will improve my relationships with students, and little things like that can add up to better qualifications and aspirations at the end.