paxolin hinge

Advert

Chris

You can buy Paxolin in sheet form from your friendly local model shop. I think MacGregor industries distribute it and it comes in various thicknesses.

Basically, your plan will show you the shape of the horn. You will have to transfer that shape to the sheet paxolin and cut it out - a fretsaw will work well. You will also have to drill the hole in the horn for the control linkage.

I suggest you have a go as not only is it very satisfying, you will have learned a method of making control horns to suit any location as opposed to just buying a pcket and bolting then onto your model

Have fun.

I still think paxolin would be stronger and less likely to split than birch ply - especially when most horns would require quite thin ply.

I do agree that finding and then buying a piece of Paxolin is one extra bit to a building project, but I would still feel happier using it than ply for a reasonable sized model. I do know that my local model shop keep Paxolin so it shouldn't be a great hardship to find.

Chris - if by Vero PCB you mean Veroboard that already has holes performated in it and has copper strips on the back - do NOT use it!! As Eric says, it is nowhere near as strong as either paxolin or "proper" FR-4 grade glass-epoxy board. It WILL crash your model for you!

If you're stuck for paxolin - give me a pm and I'll send you some. let me know how much you need and what thickness....

I said "performated" in my last post. An interesting combination of "perforated" and "preformed". Or just lousy typing....

Chris, if you can't find paxolin (and bear in mind my offer to send you some if you're stuck) you may come across GRP sheet which will be at least as strong, if not stronger than paxolin, so you could substitute this material. Just get the same thickness sheet and you will be OK.