Spray Paints

John Veitch

Advert

Acrylic and cellulose car rattle can paint  will be softened by glow fuel and exhaust residue, to the extent that the paint will be wiped off during after-flight clean downs ( might take a while for the paint to soften, but it will). You can use one of the many fuel proofers that are around - I found the Flair Spectrum satin proofer to be not up to the job but did have success with normal polyurethane varnish on a well flown Cub some years back. Unproofed Spectrum paints, in my experience, will soften after a while and I think are only described as 'fuel resistant' (?)

AFAIA only proper two pack paint (nasty stuff - needs protective mask etc) will resist attack. If your model is suitable, how about covering in a heat shrink film (Hobby King stuff is very good) and laying the camo over it cut from another coloured sheet? Have seen this done before, and with care, can look good on a sport model - and will be fully fuel proof.

Edited By Cuban8 on 10/02/2016 14:52:15

Thank you for the reply. I'll have a look into fuel proofers first. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the Flair Spectrum rattle cans so I was sort of keeping them as a last resort. The proper 2 pack paint does seem to give the best finishes but as you say its not nice stuff, and the biggest spray gun/airbrush I've got is one I use for the small plastic static models so would take quite a while to spray a rc model with it.

I'll have a look at the shrink films, I never thought of doing that, its a Bf109 I'm building so might take a bit of planning but should be doable. I'm still a little amazed no one seems to of brought out a ready printed camouflage shrink film for warbirds yet.