Syma X8W quadcopter with a key chain camera

Need to improve my mount with some anti vibration foam, but quite encouraging first results. Height was limited by my eyesight. I'm sure I've had my rc sailplanes higher thermalling, but this looks very small at height. Fortunately it has a heads up mode so you don't need to worry about orientation.

results.

Edited By Bob Moore on 25/02/2016 17:28:08

Edited By Bob Moore on 25/02/2016 17:30:40

Edited By Bob Moore on 25/02/2016 17:38:33

Edited By Bob Moore on 25/02/2016 17:39:21

Advert

Hi Bob,

a nice first video!

Please don't take this the wrong way - but can we just think about article 167 of the ANO - in partticular the provision that you cannot fly over or within 150m of a congested area? Looking at the video I think you were over the flying field at all times - which is good, but it also looks like on occassions (when taking a peek further on) you may have been quite close to boundary of the field which doesn't actually look that big enyway.. If so, it's very possible that you could be considered to not have150m clear spacing from the congested area in those positions. That could be wrong, but I'm just going on what it looks like.

I know from experience that it is very tempting to "just go just a little bit further" for a better view etc. But if you are going to put videos in the public domain then I've fouind that you really do have to be very careful they raise no questions I'm afraid, These are sensitive times! Just a bit of advice based on experience and honestly just a thought, coming from a good place, not just meant as criticism!

BEB

I think it was borderline, but point taken BEB.

My club flying field is a drive away and apparently a bog at the moment. The park 5 mins up the road is very tempting for a quick test !

I've been surprised to see a youngish guy flying quite a large nitro powered helicopter in that park. And throwing it about. Not sure if he is even a BMFA member. It scared me as it would clearly do some serious damage if it hit someone. Not trying to justify my actions though.

Edited By Bob Moore on 26/02/2016 09:28:08

We all do it Bob! I sneak down to the beach by me for a quick fly now and then! But I only use a 3s 2200 powered foamie. The one's like your lad with the heli worry me TBH. If he's throwing it about a bit he's clearly experienced, you'd hope, and expect, he'd have more sense! Ah well,...t'was ever thus.

BEB

Yes the guy with the heli seemed to know what he was doing but at the time there were dog walkers etc in the park and I was worried about a loss of control. I gave it a wide berth when I walked back to my car.

That Syma quad is much smaller and lighter than it looks too. I've been getting to grips flying it in my very small bungalow lounge. Flying space about 3 mtrs by 3 mtrs!

I'm just converting a chuck and fly, no control surfaces £12 foamie into a powered leccy. 2s 53 inch wing span and all up weight will be 0.6 lbs. It had 4 parts. Push the wings into the fusi. Push the tailplane together! Might risk a very short low test flight with that in the park as it will no doubt need a fair bit of messing back at home to get it trimmed right. It's been an interesting project. Just have to burn a hole in the foam in the nose for the 1000mA 2s. Then ready to go! Not pretty, but it is a bit of an experiment.

img_20160226_105053739_hdr.jpg

img_20160226_180236543.jpgimg_20160226_175941193_hdr.jpgimg_20160226_180123308_hdr.jpgimg_20160226_180107101.jpgimg_20160226_180203675_hdr.jpgimg_20160226_180136854.jpgFortunately I already had a small brushless motor, a 35 mhz rx and spare crystal, a couple of vaguely suitable props and I use 1000 mA 2s in an electric Orion glider and another small leccy model. I had to but a speed controller, Y lead and 3 small servos (I had some spare big ones but wanted to keep it light.) Spent maybe £15 plus the £12 for the foam monster!

The ailerons were trimmed down from some old ones from a broken Wot 4 as the was the elevator. Control wire for the elevator was also kicking around already and a couple 3 horns for the control surfaces. It's pretty crude but should fly.

Sliced of the foam at the nose and glued POR glue, a small bulkhead for the motor.

I've seen suggestions that a model needs about 50 - 70 watts per pound for reasonable performance. I think I'm at about 55 watts. Should be OK?

Great thing about foam is you can melt holes easily with a soldering iron! A bit rough but hole under the nose for the LiPo. Holes for the peedcontroller and rx. I made the almost disastrous mistake of trying to glue the contril for the elevator with superglue. It almost melted through the rear of the fusi. Hence the botch looking repair with a bit of foam!

Just figuring the balance point. It still needs a little tiny bit of weight on the nose.

If it flies OK I'll tidy it up.  Cover up the mess with coloured tape, but tidy!

img_20160226_180225420.jpgimg_20160226_175941193_hdr.jpg

Edited By Bob Moore on 26/02/2016 18:21:28