Toplight Mega

Hi Spud,

I assume your search for a 2m model goes on.....

I know somebody who has got an X-tail version. the plane is also known as an Alex, and I think a Spider in the USA

have a browse of this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372078

Anyway, from what i've seen the model flies well. It's fairly light, as I recall. I'm not sure there is a ballast tube, as standard. I haven't flown the plane myself, just observed it, but I think it's pretty good value for money.

I am probably going to end up with an Erwin Tom, but at the moment I seem to be finding all sorts of models that look and sound the part, I do not know of anybody rear me that flies these exciting models so maybe I should make an effort to find out where I can go and see some in action. As you know they do not come cheep so I do`nt want to get  it wrong,at the moment I am  relying on you and Andy for advice and very helpful you have both been.

Thanks.

If you get an erwin, don't get an all black one. it looks cool, but isn't nice to fly. I have a 2.9m skorpion which is black carbon and it's a b*gger to see once it's in the air (especially into the sun). It does look stunning on the ground. It's also a lot more likely to have an unpleasant meeting with terra firma than a plane with a more rational paint scheme! 

There are load of good models out there.  My experience is not that great, but i have a few large moulded models.  Most of the bigger ones are pretty good. I would get an acacia 2 over an erwin, for that kind of money, but it depends on what you are after (I like em big and fast).

A guy is selling a tragi 702 (3m) for about £350.  You can pick up used models for a decent price, if you look round. or are lucky/patient!

Well Tom, I am looking, quite patient,but being in the right place at the right time Mmmm; story of my life,but I will keep  looking. Whats the tragi 702 you know about ? You say you like them big and fast as you know I have a Fiesta I have had her for a number of years now she still puts a smile on my face not the fastest but still has what it takes for me to have a good day on the fells.

to eleborate  f3(whatever) is just an acronym.  Unless you have some specific interest in racing in either f3b or f3f the difference between something like a Sting (f3f) or an Ascot (f3b) are pretty much irrelevant. they would both fly off the slope and the flat very nicely. 

If it's your 1st moulded model, especially if you're going in at 3 metres, the peformance will be so much more than anything you've flown before.  Each planes relative merits against each other is not something you really need to worry about.  Even so when you actually get all the different models on the race course, there's sod all between them anyway (large racing mouldies). 

Well, this is the high end stuff I am talking about, anyway.

For sport flying, get something that's the right price that tickles your pickle (looks etc.).  The tragi is really worth a look though. they are rock hard plane. they fly "big" though. 

Hi,

Well people like Andy know a lot more than me.  I'm only a relative beginner. Don't get something crap like an X-models sword and you'll be fine.

I tend to fly either at Burton Dassett in Warwickshire or the Long Mynd in Shropshire.  There's f3f on up there in the winter. 

Just thought I would let you know I have got myself a Big Bird, Andy rates them I hope you do too? so maybe I will see you someday at  Long Mynd  I get down that way quite often ,well four times a year..

Would you please give me a ring when there is an event on it might coincide with when I am going to go to Worcester.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 01/12/2014 23:16:31