2.5 metre Gentle Lady

Advert

Matty I'm not building a soaring machine - I'm building a substitute for the Dynaflyte butterfly - a model i wanted to build but had no means of printing off the plans - a forum member scaled up the plans of Gentle Lady for me to match the dimensions and engine requirements of Butterfly (a glider/trainer/floater) with an IC engine - i am not using a model airplane for the purpose which it was not intended for - a trout landed with a worm tastes just the same as one captured on a fly. John

• 7 months later...

img_1334.jpg

Hi will -0,

I did decide to alter the construction of the Gentle Lady wing and sheet the leading edge. I also added 1/8" stringers so the wing now resembles a Dynaflite Butterfly.

Unable to purchase 1/4" steel rod and tube for the wing joiners, I had to use two x 3/16" plus a very small rod to align the wing.

I struggled to bond the brass tube with glass tape and epoxy so finished up boxing in the tubes with balsa.

A lot of sanding now before covering.

Johnimg_1333.jpg

John

I have just finished building a Goldberg Electra which was an electric version of a Gentle Lady. This model came out in the 1980s and had a heavy motor and 6 or 7 cell Nicad battery. I don't think the model had much success at the time as it weight in at 48 ounces and would have been under powered. The model was designed to be fitted with a normal prop as folding props were perhaps not available. To avoid breaking the prop they fitted a mono wheel type UC. It was a 3/32 piano wire fitted to the motor mount and extended back from the fuselage at 45 degrees with a 1.5 inch wheel.

You could try something like this with your Super size Gentle Lady to protect the prop.

Hope this helps

Barry

Edited By Barry W on 14/11/2016 17:57:04

Hi Barry

i was resigned to the fact that each landing was going to cost me a little less than the price of a pint - i have set the prop horizontal - possibly wishful thinking that it will save it from breaking.

i will look into a nose wheel as you suggest but will do a mock-up first to see how it looks - i don't want to spoil the lines of the model - thank you for your response

John