Caution when using cheaper type Lipo balance chargers

Bravo Delta

Just getting my batteries charged ,for quickness using an @Imax charger and a cheaper LE-3 balance charger

Something to watch out for when using the cheaper type charger that charges through the balance lead , if one of the balance lead wires becomes detached from the battery , the charger may overcharge the battery and not terninate

I noticed that the green LED that indicates charging was not slowing down , which it normally does when nearing full charge and seemed to have been flashing at the same rate for some time . I took it off charge and checked it on a battery checker which reported over-voltage , which the Imax charger corroborated .

Battery checker also reported 2 cells - its a 3 cell High Energy Extreme battery so I had a closer look at the balance lead and noticed the yellow wire had detached from inside the pack

Currently discharging the battery through the XT60 connector after running it on a model for a five minutes to get the discharge on the go .

The battery hasn't puffed up but I am glad I monitor charging batteries as a non-terminating charger would seem to be undesirable to understate the obvious

The battery is destined for the recycling centre once discharged

Thanks for the heads up there. One of the field chargers I use is a parkzone charger which I think is great but I never thought of the issue you mention

seems a bit ott to bin the battery due to a disconnected balance lead chances are that the one that has broken off is the easiest to get at Pealing back the heat shrink at the top

will probably reveal the busted joint. If it is deeper in its best to leave well alone

Then completely reseal with new heat shrink I tend to replace the whole covering cos it looks better. Just take care there is a lot of energy in those packs