Triple Threat 3

Former Member

• 1 year later...

Great stuff David, and pretty much what I would have done had I designed Triple Threat II later than I did. Lipos ihave enabled great weight reductions over the nicads I had no choice but to use. Brushless motors and esc's have got better and much cheaper too - my motor/esc combo cost £90 at at a show - I'd just sold a design which paid for it. Also, I wanted to reproduce the 50s design fairly accurately, albeit larger than the original. As regards the aft CG, it was a popular feature in the 50s as a lifting tail was regarded as adding to the total lift of the model. However, a lifting tail adds to the induced drag over a neutral tail. I have no idea which is correct. My full time size aviation experience leads me to take much model aerodynamic theory with a pinch of salt. My Triple Threat flew beautifully, I'm sure your lighter one will be better.

Oddly enough I built a 20% larger "Dixielander" that flew absolutely beautifly .A screaming climb and a glide that seemed as though it would go on forever. The point is that the CoG was so far back it was on the very edge of the T.E..I could never work out why. I checked and re- checked over and again all the distances ,angles weights and everything. I never found out why and just accepted it in the end. but boy could it fly.Fuel soakage got to it in the end.I did meant to build a new fuse but in the end used the wings and tail on something else. You have done really nicely with that It would be a good plan to publish.

Regards John Mantova