Browne Monoplane

hi there just wondering if anyone has started building the Browne Monoplane from the July issue of RCM&E? i will be picking up a copy on the way back to england (on hols in germany ATM) but still need to build the "Miss Demeanor", not sure which would be easier to build first... any comments, ideas or notes are welcome - Steve

Advert

Hi steve well i think you should build my plane first! (browne monoplane) but then i would say that. if you collect all the matirials together you can have it built in a couple of days. and its great fun to fly, weather you just fancy chugging around the sky or throwing her around a bit. what engine are you thinking of useing?.  Nicolas Browne.  

hi nicholas, its great to have you here to share your experience i think i will be going with the BM first and i will be putting in my trusty thrusty Super Tigre 46 to make sure its all good, then maybe find a second hand Saito 40 Four stroker to put on it and give it that authentic vintage sound i usually prefer thrashing the heck out of my Bossanova but i think the Browne monoplane would be a welcome change

Just watched the Vid!!!    Now you have me in a dilema.  Very nice plane,but do I go smaller and put my OS .30 on it OR go bigger as I keep looking at my Saito 1.20 sitting on a shelf with nothing do do.

Thank You for all you have put into it.

Ken 

Hi yep i see no reason why that would not work, if you look at the photos of my plane the torque rods are on the outside of the covering that is because it tryed to warp the wings with cables first then added the troque rods after i had covered the wings, but on the plans i put them under the wing covering to keep things looking  cleaner.

Nic

Hi ken, if you feel the need to change the size of the BM why not 200% ? I was looking at the plan this morning thinking " It's quite a fair size as it is " but if built larger it would look even better !  I just love the "Edwardian" aircraft. Nicolas has given us a really nice model to build hasn't he... Thanks Nick.

Allan.    200%!!!!    That will give it a 114 inch wing span.  That would be a VERY cool size, BUT how would you transport the thing anywhere??

By enlargeing it    125% will give you a 71.25 inch wing  (36 inch balsa spar's will just fit)

150% will give you a 85.50 inch wing  (48 inch balsa spar's will just fit)

I'm thinking I may go 150% and put my Enya .80 four stroke on it..

With the twisting effect on the wing, cutting and slicing the spar's will cause problem's in a very short while.

Do you agree Nicolas?

Ken 

Hi well what do i think! i did not put a great deal of thought into the structure when i built the plane so if you were to scale things up i cant see any reason why it would not fly!  you might went to put a few more ribs in the wing and maybe fit two servos in the wing as for making a two part wing well that would present its own problems keeping the wing strong yet flexable, 

As for cutting and splicing the spars well if you scale the wood up with the plane then that should be ok but like my plane its all a bit trial and error!! .

Nic

ALLan!!   An Estate car? I didn't know I was among royalty.

With enuff power,an elephant will fly,So with a 100 inch wing span you may need a 36cc petrol engine or bigger.

I will need to look up in my AME journal's to find the strongest angle for scarf joint's. 22.5 degree's seems to ring a bell. For splicing strip wood end to end.

Ken 

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Nicolas . Hi just 2 things , what size prop did yiu use ; what size wheels and where from great plan almost finish mine slite variation to yours , nice model good looks regards (TOSH) JAMES H POOLE.................

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I finaly have my plans enlarged. I have gone to 139% for a wing span of 72 inches. I am going to modify the  fuze by adding a third bulkhead just forward of the spar location. As well as  makeing F1 and the new F2 almost square for the top 2/3 tapering to the point for the bottom 1/3,so they will look like an up-side down house. This will give much needed room for a large fuel tank as I am going to run my Magnum .91 RFS.

It's going to be an interesting build thats for sure.

Ken