DB Spitfire - covering question

Nic Kent

I started building my DB Spitfire over 20 years ago and should now like to complete it, but ....... I have a question about how I cover the fuselage. In the picture you can see the fibreglass cowl pulled forward from where it fits recessed into the balsa, so there is a small step in the balsa there. I want to cover the balsa with fine fibreglass but can't fathom out how I would cover this step in the balsa without losing its sharp edges and losing the step at which point the cowl would not fit properly.

What have other people done? Any photos appreciated

image.jpeg

Advert

Well I was thinking about doing that but it then begs two more questions. I can't believe it is possible to position glass cloth really accurately along the edge and retain the close shut lines, or am I wrong in thinking that? Would I just let it overlap and try to clean the edge up when the resin had cured? I also wondered if I would lose some strength by not having the cloth run the length of the fuselage?

I don't think the grade of glass used for finishing (15-20gm) adds too much in the way of strength, it's primary purpose is to give a smooth finish that's more ding resistant with the benefit of added resistance to splitting along the grain with thinner sheet balsa. When I've used epoxy/glass I've found it easy to trim edges with a sharp knife as long as I've not slapped on too much resin so I'd leave an overlap and trim back. Maybe use masking tape to protect the rebate? I think the usual way to get sharp shut lines is to use a skim of filler such as P38 on the fuselage and press the cowl into it, but others will be more experienced on that point.

On the question of adding strength - if you find yourself testing the strength of this section of the fuselage a) you will probably need a spade to recover the nose, and b) this may be the least of the damage.

Thanks Bob, I think those comments all make sense. I have to admit my comment or concerns about trimming the fibreglass probably result from my experience of making repairs to my Lotus, I have never covered balsa in glass cloth so was just a bit concerned that I messed it up.

With regard the spade, you're quite right of course I'm sure it will never get flown for that reason but I should like to complete the model.

Nic

I think you should be able to use masking tape butted up to the edge of the step i.e. The area to be under the glass cowling. You can carry the glass cloth over onto the masking tape and when the resin is cured simply cut between the masking tape and the step before peeling away the masking tape. This will leave a crisp edge. I've done similar before and it works well. Coloured masking tape such as green frog tape will make it easier to see the cutting line.