leaking fuel tank

Robert Bromwich

Hi all

Hopefully someone can help i purchased a se5a from this years weston park show and as i only fly electric thought i would try my first  ic engine plane which i have got running great the only problem i have is the fuel tank is leaking from the pipes i think!?! could be from screw in centre not sure

As i was going to the woodspring 2008 show and asked someone there the first thing they said was that most ARTF planes come with silver pipes and not brass ones for the tanks so i have changed them to brass but it is still leaking (but not as much now) as this is my first ic plane could anyone out there help me

thanks for any help

rob

Advert

hi simon

Not saying its not the rubber bung but have only had 9 tanks thought it should have gone already ?and has leaked from start (screw in centre is very tight ) but more then likely will get new tank as of to LMA Cosford next weekend .

can you get one already fitted together i.e just connect the fuel etc pipes to it?

rob

Thanks simon

Just looked at the SLEC tanks think they will fit great as they are square as well

Another question you or someone might help me with

I Have a 0.40 engine and its a 6oz tank what sort of flight times should i be getting about( i know it depents on throttle) but just approx would do, at the moment getting 8 mins which i think is very short of course the tank is leaking so hopefully should get a few minutes back but i thought about 15 mins would be about right ?

thanks rob

hi Eric

was just writing reply and you got there first

The screw screws into a metal disc on the back on the bung , everything came with the tank so all i can say is it should fit ,bung is tight to get in before you screw it up, screw thread is ok and i have sanded the pipe ends, i have changed tubing again when i changed the pipes from silver to brass. when i was changing pipes i checked the tank etc to make sure everything was ok before i fitted everything back together all seemed fine.

one thing i didnt check is the (Tiny 'bead' of raised material making a thread from the inside to outside, in the neck, or a 'feather' of moulding flash on the rubber bung, and you have a leak) so i guess it would be that ?

will have a look at that if not i think a new tank it is

many thanks rob

Hi Rob,

A 6oz probably won't give you more than about 8 min., the usual size tank for a 40 would be around 8oz.

The SLEC yellow top tank is 9oz and gives a good 10 min or so on my 46, probably more if I fly till it runs dry, to be honest, I've never really timed it, there is just ample

Thanks Eric and Simon

As im off to LMA Cosford next weekend(Saturday) i think a new slec 9oz tank is another addition to my list  will just have to hide it from girlfriend  ,hopefully this will then solve the problem.

many thanks to you all i will update you when i get chance to test the new tank out

rob

Well went to Cosford on saturday abit windy and showers on and of but all in all a good day

Got my fuel tank the 9oz Slec ,but could you believe it i never thought to check it fully (i did make sure everything was there) but one of the parts in the packet was wrong

when i looked at it i had the clunk and the fuel line and the screw in fuel nipple but no nipple was on the outside so nothing to connect the line to the engine!

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/29507/DSCF2389.jpg

So after all that i still cant change the tank over

Did ok with the other items though and got a great charger the Max Loong E6 from the Budget RC tent ,so not to bad of a day

Rob