Aero modelling club members fear uncertain future

I can see this happening to more clubs for one reason or another. The future may consist of the park flyer being flown from opportunistic sites and clubs for larger models having to buy their own site with high club fees to reflect the cost of the site, This may price out some modellers

Edited By Phil 9 on 08/08/2016 18:40:43

Unfortunately, the interests of the 'Greens' (meaning those in favour of preserving everything, not the political party) seem to take precedence over all others in the UK. The minority that benefit from the Green Belt and Local Authorities bent on keeping everything as it was in 1800 are preventing land from being used for recreational purposes and housebuilding. Our children can't afford homes and we all drive on medieval roads simply because its seems more important to keep land for farming and 'conservation'. I wonder how much farming would be done without subsidies and tax breaks? How many old buildings do we need to preserve? There's hundreds of them mostly monuments to the exploited.

In this case, for the sake of 4.5 acres (out of 95 acres) a whole recreational activity is sacrificed. There is very little evidence, I would wager, that flying model aircraft is harmful to wildlife. Birds certainly either ignore our planes or regard them with curiosity and visitors to the wildlife centre are certainly going to cause equal if not more noise and pollution. Compared to industrial farmimg our hobby is just a tiny pin prick in lives of our wildlife.

There is actually a lot of space out there that couold be used but institutions and pressure groups are occupying it!

I think it has been demonstrated in the past that R/C flying club fields can actually be a beneficial habitat for wildlife.

As pointed out above, the total area of any given flying field that is used for R/C activity (and I include parking club members cars in that area) is typically small. The land is not in constant use for flying, and only really the strip is mowed heavily, leaving the rest of the site undisturbed.

Also, think about the amount of times a year a flying field is used/inhabited by humans...It will be deserted for a lot of the time and therefore attractive to wildlife.

I rather thought the article linked to in the OP missed the chance to make that point and perhaps present the club as a good thing to have on your patch of land, thus helping them to find a new site.

Really sorry to hear of the plight of this club. Maybe the BMFA can negotiate with the new land owner and come up with a compromise situation? Just chucking these lads off after they've operated from the site for so long and presumably without a problem is very high-handed.

Edited By Cuban8 on 09/08/2016 14:19:15

This is a real shame, I first learnt to fly at the Kings Lynn club with my father and brother in the late eighties / early nineties. The site was a it rough then and it must be very galling to have it taken away it has been adapted so well. Might it be worth speaking to British Industrial Sand? They have recently removed free public access to the majority of Bawsey Pitts, which is nearby, so might be interested in a more structured arrangement with a private club?

Edit: seems my local knowledge is sadly out of date. This area has now been sold to a private business man. 

Edited By Jack Banner on 09/08/2016 15:27:17

The Norfolk Wild Life Trust I assume think that model flying disturbs wild life, this is not true. Some years ago a report was produced about this issue, I believe commissioned by the BMFA, which concluded that such concerns were unfounded, worth contacting them for a copy of the report, which might still be on the website. Other considerations are that a stable group of regular users helps with site security. They are likely to report or challenge people who might be up to no good.

Martin

Reminds me of a few Christmas's back, the local Morrison's had collection tubs after the checkouts, one for pet food for a local animal shelter and one for Christmas food for a local homeless charity, guess which one was brimming.

Hope you guys get a good outcome.