Disc sander

SWMBO purchased a combi belt and disc sander for my birthday from Axminster tools,nice bit of kit.Where do you guys get your discs from(125mm dia) 300-400 grit sticky back self adhesive?I ordered some  discs from them but when I took the original one off and tried one of the fine grades it wasn't sticking very well,so removed it and cleaned backing disc with meths and waited for it to evaporate next disc stuck a bit better but I am a bit wary of it flying off(yes I wear safety specs) they do not seem to be very sticky and I am sure I have seen a friends that was a bu**er to remove from your hand if the disc stuck to it.

Cheers

John

Advert

Hi Sailor  (was going to type "hallo sailor " then I thought better of it !! The better alternative would be to convert the disc to the "velcro " type. I bought my kit from " Machine Mart " If memory serves it cost about £4. 00. including the post and packing. I highly reccomend the kit as it is very easy to change from coarse to fine grit.

Try this   www.machinemart.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Allan,now you know why I changed name to fly-navy from sailor,every e.mail from mods started "Hello Sailor",thanks for info I was going this way and still may do,I got in touch with Axminster and they supplied  some more discs FOC without any prompting suggesting that my order might have been old stock and lost some of the stickiness these new ones certainly seem better got to get it sorted ready for the Hurricane plan

John

Hi  fly navy, if you do decide to go "velcro " I can assure you that you will be pleased with the end result, I changed to this type about fours ago because I got fed up with trying to remove worn out discs, they are very easy to change if you need to change from one grit to another. I wouldn't use any other kind now.

Regards Allan