Brushless upgrade super cub s

Simon Kirk

OK having got to grips to flying and building a small collection of powered gliders after learning to fly with my super cub, I'm looking at doing a brushless upgrade.
I have a few spare receivers so that's not a problem, but the whole prop / motor/ esc is baffling me.

Iv had a read up and have a bit of an idea about wing loading etc but I was wondering if anyone has done this upgrade before or if anyone could point me in the right direction of a suitable motor / esc / prop combo for the super cub s please. I just want it to be faster and a little more fun than it is with the standard motor.

Preferably direct drive too and not breaking the bank as it's my first go at modifying a plane.

Thanks

Advert

I converted an old brushed HobbyZone SuperCub to brushless a while back, this is a video of me flying it around on a perfect Summers evening.

I installed the mininum prop size as anything over a 8x4 prop is way too much power for such a light plane.

Always use a watt meter to check you are within stated tollerences below!
You may find that minus all the old brushed components you will need some lead on the inside of the cowling, so remember to check the CG.

Motor:
Model No: A22-15M / 1050kvm
Weight: 67g
Fit Prop 8x4 to 10×5
Current: 6A-16A (max 20A for 15 seconds)
Max Watts: 200w
Max Cells: 3s Lipo
LINK for reference

Motor also known as: KD / KDA / Keda / Dynam DYM22-15M

Recommended props:
8x4 APC-E (3 cells: 11A, 125W, 650g, 39mph, 10300rpm)
9x4.5 APC-E (3 cells: 15A, 160W, 800g, 40mph, 9300rpm )
9x6 APC-E (3 cells: 18A, 190W, 850g, 49mph, 8600rpm )
10x5 APC-E (3 cells: 19A, 200W, 1000g, 40mph, 8400rpm )

Recommended Battery Capacity: 3S 2200mAh

ESC: BRC Hobbies WASP 20amp ESC

Edited By Allan Bowker on 09/09/2016 22:56:11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Sorry Alan only just seen thud after being busy over winter. It's a hobbyzone super cub s. I have recently purchased an 1100kv motor, esc and a few props from a member of my club (also a member on here) going to make a start tomorrow at modifying the battery box to take a 2200mah and when my watt meter arrives this week il run a few tests with the props and see whuch is going to be the best iv got a much better idea of things since I wrote this original post so fingers crossed!
How did you mount the motor to retain the original angle? I was thinking of mounting a balsa plate on the original mount and using some spacers to clear the Cowell?

• 1 month later...

In the past I'm sure I've see a couple of items on YouTube showing people carrying out this conversion, might be worth a few minutes searching.

Picture worth a thousand words and all that ...thumbs up

Edited By avtur on 01/04/2017 13:51:55