Traplet Me 262

Hi, everyone,

I’m considering building a Traplet Plans Me262.,w/s 50”.

Has anyone had experience of this build, and are there any pitfalls for the unwary there!?

I would also like to know if retracts and flaps are an integral part of the plan , and especially the ‘leg’ dimensions for the oleos, as well as a suitable retract make. Or could I add them?

Lastly, are there any other sites which would have this info?

Thanks very much,

Den

Advert

Den, hi

if you mean the Phil Noel EDF plan I've got that one. A pair of EDF units came my way and I quite fancied this so took a punt and bought the plan, but other projects have since moved ahead of it in the queue. Be aware there is a serious quantity of cutting involved and unless spending hours of cutting out a vast plethora of quite intricate parts, very few the same, floats your boat I'd say the cnc pack would be essential

From memory there is a bungee hook shown on the plan and I think I'm right in saying that it doesn't show retracts or flaps, but I'd have to dig it out to be 100% sure. Very happy to do that if it helps, but won't be able to get to it for two or three days

Have you seen this?

**LINK**

Thanks, Ian - the vid shows it as a nice flyer, and he landed it on the nacelles with no problem. At 50", I think it should be ok to fit flaps and retracts. The Freewing 59" w/s has them, and is quite a heavy aircraft.

I would get a laser-cut pack if I decide to do it. My friend had a small Piper Cub with a pack, and he said the accuracy of the cut made it all very simple(!). I have a bungee launcher, but, as I said, would like it to have flaps and retracts.

Thanks very much once again, I'll keep you posted on developments,

Den

I can't comment on the Me 262 but I have one of Phil Noels other designs, the Sea Vixen, in both plan and CNC pack awaiting a build slot. I believe both are designed in a similar style.

Your decision to go with the CNC pack is a VERY wise choice. You'd be driven mad by the number of holes you'd have to cut out if you were creating the parts yourself. It's a seriously complex set.

Again, I'm not sure if the same applies to the Me 262 but the Sea Vixen requires the builder to create a sort of mini-jig (or build tabs) on the building board to support the frame in the correct position prior to gluing. I've done a dry run of the major parts and its an impressive sight even in its skeletal form. A real builders model.

Best of luck with the build and please post on your progress.

Thanks, Ian,

I'm still not sure about committing myself to the build yet. The nearest space/time I would have would be near Easter, I think!

What about you, are you thinking about doing it? If you are thinking about passing on it, would you consider selling the plans/edfs etc/

Thanks for looking out for the plans, I will get back to you if I need more detail, although if I get the woodpack, it should (ha-ha!) be pretty straightforward.

my e-add is:

[email protected]

Cheers, Den

Posted by Den Moran on 06/11/2016 10:02:21:

What about you, are you thinking about doing it? If you are thinking about passing on it, would you consider selling the plans/edfs etc/

I'm definitely keeping the EDFs for another day, and am hanging on to the plan for now. Vague thoughts of maybe using the outline for a depron version having seen how well this (slightly smaller) one goes and looks

**LINK**

Traplet's pricing seems unusually miserly. Absolutely no discount on the full set - canopy, cnc pack, and plan. It's exactly the same price as buying those three components separately.

As you're in no rush you may want to bide your time. They occasionally do discount offers, and with xmas coming up there may be something in the pipeline. Alternatively if you can wait until early next spring/summer Traplet often do discounts at shows they attend. I looked pretty closely at the two I went to this year and am sure they didn't have any of the ME262 bits at those. However, if you decided to go ahead and were planning to get to one of the shows it may be worth calling them in advance of that, and asking if they would do a discounted ME 262 set for you

Good luck!

Edited By IanN on 06/11/2016 12:01:19