Where Can I Find A Pic Of Model With Extra U/C Mounted On Top Of Fuz?

TonyM

Hi All,

In the past I've seen several pix on the 'net showing models which had a second undercarriage mounted on top of the fuz to allow inverted take-off and landings, whenever the pilot became bored with normal flight (or perhaps when he just "felt lucky!")

So, having recognised signs of boredom in my own flying recently, I now want to build my own "upsy-downsy" model to give me a new and interesting challenge - but of course, now that I want to check how it's done, I just can't find any of the articles!

So, if someone could point me at an article, or a picture or video, showing this kind of thing I'd be grateful

I guess I could go ahead and "grow" a model on my bench, but it would be good to see how others have done it previously - especially how they dealt with tail-wheel siting (assuming that the model is going to be a tail-dragger, but of course it doesn't have to be)

Tony

Advert

Tony, in the late 80's the Avicraft Panic Team were famous for their displays which included a model which landed inverted. I saw this at Sandown Park and Plumpton perhaps one of the contributors  might have a photo. (Try Avicraft).

Also there was a full size Pitts piloted by Craig Hosking (Google the name) which took off and landed inverted or the correct way up. There was a winch in the cockpit to aid the pilot to enter the plane before the inverted take off.

Thanks for this guys - I hadn't thought about using a biplane for this particular project - but it looks as though it may help with both the construction, and the flying . . . . maybe!

I seem to recall that Don Incoll modified a model for inverted take-off and landings quite a while ago (in fact I'd be amazed if he didn't do so - seeing-as he tried just about everything else you could think of with model planes)

Come to think about it, I really miss reading about Don's prolific building (and crashing) and really wish he'd left his web-site on-line for us all to enjoy

Around 8 years ago I followed Don's example and fitted a HAL auto-pilot into a model's wing (looking through "windows" in the top and bottom of the wing). The auto-pilot was activated via a switch on my Tx. Turning it on at any time during flight made the model immediately want to head for the heavens, making "hands-off prop-hanging" possible . . . . it was great fun at the time. Come back Don - all's forgiven!

Sorry, I think I digressed a little there! Anyway, I would appreciate more leads/pix to give me some more clues about how I might plan and build my "upsy-downsy" project

Tony

• 3 weeks later...