Flying field (urban) myths

I'm bored and tired the weather is not good and I've up all night trying to fix Windows Vista without success now using XP. I thought i would start an erm lets say lively discussion on popular flying field myths. Can't think of any funny ones atm but i'm sure you guys and gals can help out there.

1/ Lite ply is a useful building material. FALSE.  Its the laminating of a substandard material popularised by ARTF manufacturers. There is nothing to be gained by its use other than cost reduction. Strength for weight, balsa is superior.

2/ Polystyrene foam core wings are heavier than built up wings. FALSE Foam wings weigh no more then the built up equivalent, they are usually stronger, follow the aerofoil section more closely over the whole wing, thus are more efficient and in most cases cheaper to produce.

3/  Painting will make your model heavier then film covering. FALSE. Film consists of plastic film with pigment and adhesive. A coat of paint properly applied is microns thick and weighs almost nothing, you would need to apply an excessive number of coats of paint or put in on very thickly to come close to the weight of iron on film.

4/ Caster fuels are best. FALSE. Tricky subject but i'd suggest you do the research yourself, there is plenty of information on the Internet relating to fuels and the different types of oil used including the manufacturers specifications.

5/ Sanding washout into your ailerons can reduce/cure tip stall. FALSE. This is more likely to induce tip stall or make it worse. 

Please feel free to add some of your own, i'm sure there are a lots more. These are my votes, if you like, for the myths i've included along with brief reasons i believe them to be false. Who knows a discussion on these and some further contributions could lead to a list of myths worth publishing in the mag.

Disclaimer:

I'm not trying to start an argument just disseminate information based on my experience and knowledge. Unless a quote or source is stated this is my personal view/opinion/experience,  thus does not represent 'THE' solution but rather 'A' possible solution, your mileage may vary. Any advice or information provided should be viewed as based on my personal experience and in no way represents the only way to do, fly, build, create, solve a problem with or alter a model aircraft. I take no responsibility for any problems caused by following any advice or information I provide. In general read what other modellers would do to solve your particular problem then decided on the method you feel most appropriate or undertake further research.

Advert