Which plane + transmitter for me and my lad please?

Stuart Wright 1

Hello folks,

posting this in the beginner forum because while I used to build and fly planes 20 years ago when crystals and nitrous engines were the norm, technology has moved on so much that I think I need to start again. I was only an intermediate flyer when I had to stop flying.

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive first RTF plane to re-learn how to fly and for my teenage son to learn also.

I am short of time these days, so I'll not be able to build in balsa like in the old days. It has to be plug and play.

I've seen a few kits with transmitters included. I'd prefer, I think to get a separate, slightly better transmitter for more flexibility going forward. Nothing particularly fancy at this early stage, though.

The good aspect is that we have a 3 acre paddock at the back of our house, so I could fly very conveniently. But residents' gardens border it, so the plane would need to be electric.

What would you suggest, please?

Advert

Have a very good long look at the FlySky FS-i6 Transmitter and various receivers it is sold with. I have Spektrum DX9, Futaba 10CG, a Taranis and two Horus, and STILL think the FS-i6 is a great little Tx with good features and quality for REALLY silly money. Don't discount it as a toy!

NOT the white 6 Channel one with no trim controls on the front though, intended for multicopters.

Since you indicate you are going it alone so to speak (you'll soon be back OK) then I suggest a HobbyKing Bixler 2 or 3 as the first "I'm back" plane.

You can buy better IF you need later and son can have the FlySky, but I suspect you'll be reluctant!

The FlySky Dave recommends are good - I've been impressed with the ones I've seen - but I would still personally want to go a little further up market just to ensure a slightly higher physical quality. Maybe the new Frsky Taranis X7 might fit the bill?

It's very affordable at around £120 (by the time you have added the battery), but still has 16ch and essentially unlimited programming. Receivers are cheap and reliable, and there is lots of affordable telemetry option too. With one of those you should not need to upgrade anytime soon, and even if you don't like the feel of the gimbals there are new Hall effect ones coming out very soon as a £40 upgrade.

Edited By MattyB on 25/01/2017 14:32:01

Thank you both.

@Dave Bran do you mean this one? http://www.gearbest.com/rc-car-parts/pp_210798.html?currency=GBP

I've seen this https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-bix3-trainer-fpv-epo-1550mm-arf.html and am very excited by the idea of having FPV. It could be what switches my son on to flying. I'd definitely like to explore the FPV aspect. What kit would you match with the Bixler 3 for a good FPV experience? My son has an iPhone 5S he could use.

Any preferences on the

3S 11.1V 2200mAh Lipoly Battery
9g Servos
2620 1400kv Brushless Motor
20~30A Brushles ESC
8x4 Propeller

?

I am happy to buy whatever you guys spec as the best options.

Many, many thanks

I have no real practical experience in FPV, but I know lots of people who use the various Bixlers for that - they are stable, have lots of room for gear, offer an unobstructed view to the camera and are very tough. Having flown a friends I did not like how it flew particularly (it was rather imprecise and bus like(!) and needed a lot of throttle to elevator mixing to avoid uncommanded changes in pitch), but it would suit a beginner and make a decent first FPV platform. Please make sure you understand the rules on FPV before you start, though.

Posted by Dave Bran on 25/01/2017 13:45:45:

Have a very good long look at the FlySky FS-i6 Transmitter and various receivers it is sold with

The Flysky FS-i6 is also sold under the Turnigy TGY-i6 label (not the i6S !). I have got one, and I can support Dave's opinion on this Tx. Good value for money.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 25/01/2017 20:08:35

It does not look like it has many programming options for endpoint adjustment and such, although these days it is hard to say. Even cheap sets may have possibilities for programming from your PC, you don't know until you read the manual (although I do not see a connection socket). And it does not state or shows that it has a trainer port, if that is interesting you. In your opening post you said you wanted "flexibility for going forward", that is not just the number of channels, but also it's programming capability like delta and V-tail mixes.

I can only recommend what I know, and in the lower priced category that is the Flysky/Turnigy i6 already mentioned.

Max.

Edit: it does seem to have a V-tail mixer.

Edited By Max Z on 26/01/2017 16:48:20

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Stuart Wright 1 on 25/01/2017 13:12:17:

Hello folks,

posting this in the beginner forum because while I used to build and fly planes 20 years ago when crystals and nitrous engines were the norm, technology has moved on so much that I think I need to start again. I was only an intermediate flyer when I had to stop flying.

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive first RTF plane to re-learn how to fly and for my teenage son to learn also.

I am short of time these days, so I'll not be able to build in balsa like in the old days. It has to be plug and play.

I've seen a few kits with transmitters included. I'd prefer, I think to get a separate, slightly better transmitter for more flexibility going forward. Nothing particularly fancy at this early stage, though.

The good aspect is that we have a 3 acre paddock at the back of our house, so I could fly very conveniently. But residents' gardens border it, so the plane would need to be electric.

What would you suggest, please?

Sonny, I'd look on the BMFA website for your nearest club and pay them or several of them a visit.

In terms of what plane etc, its always a difficult one, as there are so many to choose from and so many opinions. If you join a club, which I strongly suggest, then wait and see what the instructors say, as they may have particular radio systems that they can use to assist you and you will need something compatible. Equally, they may have some used equipment you could use.

The Eflite Apprentice is a good to give you the basics of flight. Some come with a transmitter so you can get in the air fairly quickly.