ACC Hobby Space Walker Build

Advert

Hello Guilherme and RC Plane Flyer. Thanks for following up with this thread.

As you will note I have not updated this since May 2017. This is because my work in Thailand came to an end and I had to return to Australia (not a bad outcome!) At the time I had only partially competed the model and did not want to take it to Australia because of the issues with importing wood etc. Instead i decided to leave the model with my Thai flying instructor who promised to finish it off for me.

The model was finished as standard using the motor, ESC and servos supplied by ACCHobbies when I bought the kit (via Aliexpress). I have flown the model a couple of times and it a great flyer. I only own 3S 2000mAh batteries and the model flies very easily on this set-up. It is no 3D rocket ship but then again it is not supposed to be. It is great for simply pottering around but is also capable of performing basic loops and rolls etc without any difficulty. It has a good speed range which helps when landing as it can be slowed down a fair bit - which is handy since it does not have flaps.

The build was a little tricky in places and there are a few areas that the kit manufacturer could improve - such as burning reference numbers into the parts instead of the scrap wood next to the parts. However with a little forethought and patience this builds into a nice model which is easy to fly. I would certainly consider one of their other kits - or even look at building this again for flying in Australia.

If you are building this model then please think about adding your build experience and photos to the end of this thread or add a link to your own so that we can see how you overcame the build issues with this kit.

I was not sure about starting a thread but I found it very useful to take the time to take photos and to write about the steps I was doing as it really focused the thinking. If / when I get the time to restart some building in Australia I would certainly do a thread again.

While I can't add any more photos of the finishing stages of the build - since I didn't do it - I can add a few photos of the completed model - apologies for the quality of some of them.

Note that the hatch does close properly and is fine as designed without any magnets or other supports to stop it falling off - the last photo is while getting ready for the maiden hence the hatch is open

img_0075.jpg

img_0076.jpg

img_0077.jpg

img_0087.jpg

img_0088.jpg

Hi Chris . thank you for the feedback back and photos, I will add a couple of photos now I have some sections built. My model came as deal as it was the last one in stock and no cowl available for months? . I found the same on the motor mount but saw the error as I was unable to see any details on motor fitting inside or outside the mount I went my own way after measure three times cut once. Good news about it's flying capability

Dears,

When I found this forum my plane was built, so I don´t have the construction pictures. I´ve tried to fly last weekend, but the wind didn´t give me a break. At nightfalls i take-off and land in a short flight. I´d recommend a quite accuracy CG, and less ailerons controls. If possible, including some flaps during construction would be perfect. Also I changed the landing gear that cames wiht this kit, I´m using a 6" PVC tube formed with hot water. To accomodate the 4 holes in the landing gear I made a base in the wing. Also, the ailerons servos can be mouted inside the wing if you try to adapt some doors.

Edited By Guilherme Pimenta on 06/03/2018 00:45:28

Hi RC Flyer - the work so far is looking good - hopefully there are not to many other items missing from your kit. I found there were some spare parts and plenty of scrap wood so hopefully you can bodger up the parts your need. Keep us posted on how you go.

Guilherme - this looks like a nice finish - did you cover the cowl or paint it? Nice work on the colour scheme - it must have taken some effort.

I see that HK now have a larger 1500mm version so hopefully that has most of these issues sorted out.

Chris

Thank you Chris. The cowl and landing gear is painted. Also I covered with monokote cause chinakote i had some dificult.
The wings ribs are not well supported, and the covering can bend the wood.
I'm having trouble with the metal gear servos, Tower pro mg90s. When i move slowlly one, It interfeers other servo, like a short circuit. If o relator this problem, this weekend i gone try another flight.
Regards

• 1 month later...