Not a new idea, but very simple

Limobob

I was held up today to punch some holes through a stack of ribs for servo leads. I know that it is well publicised to make a cutter from brass tube and i'm sure most builders have their own methods for this. It is not something i do too often so have managed to get over this in the past with the Dremel and a grinding wheel but have never really finished up with a really neat job. Access to model shops is difficult for me and i usually finish up paying a huge amount of postage to achieve the desired result. I looked at ordering some brass tube from the UK but the cost of this was prohibitive. I scratched around for something and, bingo, i do a bit of rifle shooting in calibre 7-08 Remington so have loads of used brass cases. One of these with the nose cut off and a couple of slits with the junior hacksaw and i have a perfect solution. It really does cut a perfect hole around 11mm dia so problem solved and with the empty case being made of hard brass and perfectly concentric has come up trumps. Easy to obtain empty cases and of a size which does not compromise the integrity of ribs and other structures. Try it, you will not be disappointed!

Edited By Limobob on 23/04/2017 20:55:56

Advert

Just one slight problem. Gun control in the UK is very strict, very few people will have a rifle, and the chances of finding brass cases is very remote. It is a court-marshal offence for a soldier to even take one off a firing range.

For 50p one can buy one of these plumbing fittings, an end feed coupling 10mm at one end, 15mm at the other. Two sizes in one.

Edited By Andy48 on 23/04/2017 21:27:55

I use sharpened (with the Dremel) copper plumbers fittings (like these)....available in a range of sizes (8,10,15,22 & 28mm) & if you buy the reducers you can get two sizes in one neat package...thumbs up

As Andy observes used cartridges are not easy to come by in the UK

Ooo looks like Andy was editing his post as I typed & uses the same items as I do.....great minds & all that....wink 2

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 23/04/2017 21:34:00

Not being controversial at all. Just very happy not to have guns on the street or in homes except for some police and a few sad (being polite) numpties!

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 23/04/2017 21:30:43:

.....great minds & all that....wink 2

Of course! laugh

In the Olden Days, cars had sticky out aerials. I have an old car aerial, dismantled and with the end sharpened which I use for cutting holes in suitable, forgiving materials. I also have a shotgun certificate, I can't imagine empty cases from this being any use in this application 😜

Shaunie.