Sparky in my KK Falcon

Advert

i am considering changing the engine in my Falcon which has been gathering dust in the loft for the last 3 years or so. At present it has a Merco 49 up front which I understood once belonged to Chris Olsen. The engine starts well but I had a number of dead stick landings with it. and could not tune it right. I have now been given an OS 61 4 Stroke as a 70th birthday present and think this might make an ideal swap for the Merco despite the fact that it is almost 7 ounces heavier at 19.06 ounces such that the plane will need some weight added to the rear to get CG right.

Any thoughts anyone?---I have just noted that a Lazer 70 is an ounce heavier than the OS 61.

KK Falcon

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 12/05/2017 18:57:08

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 12/05/2017 19:01:08

Yeah Mike, it's not uncommon for Falcons to need weight in the tail.

That's a lovely model!

Obviously, engine choice depends on what you have available, apart from natural inclinations...

Being a long-time engine collector, I would prefer a Taplin Twin, a PAW 49 or 60, or a real old-time sparker. I think only the Forster 99 has an "original" throttle, but I've grafted throttles (dead easy) onto both the Ohlsson and McCoy 60s. Of course, the original Falcon (Eddie Keil's) flew without a throttle, but that would limit the flight envelope nowadays.

I suppose most would be inclined to use a 4-stroke, Laser 60/70-ish would be very nice I'm sure...

The original open rocker OS61 has powered several falcons, the only drawback is it becomes a light wind plane with a marginal excess of power to get you back to the strip if you're downwind. I used one of the second generation os 61 4s in a falcon and it was OK but it was 20 odd years old then and I got an offer I couldn't refuse for it.

A laser 70 overpowers the plane and downthrust nearing double figures will be necessary to combat it at full throttle or a fistful of down if you're lazy. Having said that, in 14 years the laser 70 in mine never dead sticked on me and had really good fuel consumption as basically it runs on less than a 1/4 throttle.

I've seen them powered with everything from smallish 2 strokes through to 91 4 strokes but the ideal for me is either a saito 62 with a 13x6 prop or an OS surpass 52, ample power from either to get back upwind and enough power, after a shallow dive, to loop reasonably well if your wing bands are newish. BTW don't be concerned about extra weight with the falcon, some say that they perform better with some ballast.

My falcon days are over now, basically because the airframes are too large for my car and the fact that the last falcon is now 14 years + old.