RBC kits, Avia BH3

Rob Fairweather 1

• 6 months later...

Rob I was looking for another thread and stumbled upon yours; I am probably too late now but I have been building one of these for about 18 months (made very slow progress) but I am very pleased with the way in which it is shaping up. The quality of the kit is first class and the drawings are well produced and detailed. Its a slightly odd looking aeroplane which attracted me to it in the first place. Mine is covered now and almost ready to finish off but work commitments have put a halt to it other than for a few minutes here and there.

The model is surprisingly large; loads of room for the r/c kit and flight pack. I like the shape of the wings but don't ask me how it will fly!

The only point I would make is that the drawing for the u/c is not very clear and when I had finished it the whole assembly felt very heavy. I broke the original u/c up and made my own and although lighter I am still not very happy with it; the small wing between the wheels is difficult to get right and in my attempts to redesign I think I have made it more complicated. I may well rebuild it again.

The front cowl is very large; I have not yet worked out the best way of cutting the vent slots in it as I don't want to damage it.

Mine will probably not be finished in camo; I have seen some examples of civilian markings which I may go for.

This is the second RBC kit that I have built; my first was the Texan which I built as a Havard. It flew perfectly on its maiden but in my ineptitude I tip stalled it on finals and after repair thereafter followed a series of mishaps including the motor detaching itself in mid air. I think these problems were all down to pilot error rather than any problems with the airframe. Once I sorted everything it's flown well and given good service.

I am thinking of buying the Kingfisher next; it will no doubt be added to the growing pile of projects awaiting my retirement but it would be rude not to!

In summary I hold RBC in high regard and am happy to recommend them. If you are interested in more pics of the Avia I am happy to post them; I decided not to provide a build log on this one; its taken so long that people would probably have got bored

• 5 months later...