Durafly Spitfire 24 update to 5 blade prop

zz

I have a Durafly Spitfire 24 and want to do the update which involves replacing the ESC, motor and fitting a 5 blade prop.

This setup runs on a 4s.

My question is for anyone having done the update, and have /had it flying, how did you fit a 4s in the battery position ?. How was the CG affected.? Was the receiver to another location ?

Any advice of your experience welcome.

Thanks.

Advert

I've done it, a few months ago but haven't got around to flying it yet. No problems in doing it and setting it up. Apart from the scale accuracy of the five bladed prop, it has the added advantage that you can replace individual blades instead of the whole prop, as you have to do with the four blader.

If I get the chance in the next day or two I'll get it out and take a couple of photos.

Kooka, here it is. You need to change the engine mounting if it's an early example. Conversion is easy. You need to shove the battery as far back as it will go to get the c of g right. I haven't flown much this year and I'm rusty so haven't flown it yet. I had another one unconverted, but wrecked it after re-binding it and not doing a proper pre-flight check that would have shown me the ailerons were reversed! No excuses, I rolled it inverted into our hard runway. I've bought two more of these motor and propeller sets because I might use them in another model and they probably won't be available for ever. The five b,ade prop is a beauty with replaceable blades.img_2094.jpgimg_2095.jpgimg_2096.jpgimg_2097.jpg

Hello Colin.

Mine is the later issue with the mount for the newer motor. The update runs on a 4s 2200 battery and dry fitting the battery into the motor bay looks like I have to remove a fair bit of foam to fit the battery and get the battery hatch on. And move the receiver aft. That is where I thought, I'll consider this just a little more.

In mine I can't secure the 5 blades onto the stock motor, it won't tighten to my satisfaction. The photos look like you are running a stock set up.

This is my next project after finishing my PKZ Corsair.

I saw a Spit with 5 blades at Hendon a couple of years ago, loved it, and then HK issued this update.

I thank you for your advice and will let you know how I get on.

• 7 months later...

Hi Colin, my son recently bought a MK24 v1 in really nice condition, but we had a transmitter failure last sunday and it went pretty hard into the ground front first. I'm in the process of rebuilding it, but am looking to harvest as many 4 blade bits as possible, in particular spinner, back plate and prop adapter / shaft. Would you have any of the 4-blade parts that you took off that you woulb be willing to part company with? Thanks