Amateur Radio operators?

Tony Kenny

Advert

Greetings from G6KBM.

The above has not been used for some 30+ years. I have now, however, been offered a dual band rig and would like to see what happens out there nowadays.

Whats my situation Daithi, please?

I currently believe that I have to have my C&G documentation and submit them before renewal.

I have changed addresses a few times since obtaining my first licence and will not have received any relevant mailouts as a consequence.

I'd let mine lapse for a few years but all I did was to phone OfCom to ask about re-activation. I did ask if I needed to re-submit my C&G slips but they told me it wasn't necessary and re-activated the callsign 'on the spot' (paper documentation is now a 'DIY' option - you just download and print it). From OfCo:

"

No.

If you wish to become licensed once more, you will need to apply again. A fee of £20 is payable, to contribute to the recovery of administration costs.

When applying, you will need to provide a copy* of any documents which prove that you previously held the call sign. This could either be:

- An old licence / validation document;
- A City & Guilds Institute certificate
- If you were a member of the Radio Society of Great Britain then proof of entry in a RSGB call book would also be sufficient.

*Please do not send original documents"

Thanks for that Daithi,

I'm a mite confused as you seem to be saying you were able to renew your licence on the phone without charge and without a paperwork trail.

The OfCom site info, however, suggests that, amongst other options, a copy of my C&G pass certs is required and there is a, reasonable, charge of £20.

C&G offer a search service at a charge of £44 but don't seem to guarantee success which I suppose is fair enough so could well be a dead end.

I was RSGB member but I would need a (any) previous contact to produce his 30+ year old log books and make a copy of his entry - unlikely methinks do you know if we had a joyous conversation all that time ago, for instance?

I'm asking myself. Is it worth it?

I agree it's confusing. When I renewed mine I had actually phoned to find out the details and/or any fees - the person on the other end just went ahead and fixed it up (naturally there were no complaints from here), but I hadn't changed address.

It's not a logbook entry that's needed - it's one from the callbook (the big one that lists everyone's callsigns and name/address or 'details withheld'. The mandatory requirement to keep logs btw is also a goner (along with the Morse Code requirement)

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 19/09/2017 10:21:30:

Cuban8 - no longer is Morse not required but even the C&G RAE is gone. Nowadays you start as a 'novice' and work up from there by passing 'club run' exams.

I've got my C&G in both 224 (same as you) and also the old RAE. In a way the incentive for a 'full' license is gone as an 'intermediate' callsign can operate on all bands with 100 Watts (which is all I operate on and which most rigs are capable off without using external power amps)

I must say that all this has piqued my interest and I'll look at the RSGB website for the latest gen. Yes, C&G 224, that was the one. Did five years, three nights a week, Industrial Equipment & Radio and TV as an optional extra. Then a further year of evenings to bring my maths up to scratch on a Higher TEC bridging course. My experience wasn't unusual or unique, the classes were popular and very well attended and cost only a few tens of pounds per annum - and of course run by the local technical college.

Regarding what's going on in the hobby, I've been out of it for about a decade, but, in the last year, I've only managed one contact despite any many calls out on 2m and on a few local repeaters. Just doesn't seem to be the people out there anymore.

As mentioned, the real reason I got back on the air was to have some form of "emergency" comms if we're cycling in an area with no mobile signal, though I'm also considering introducing the kids to SOTA when they'er old enough.

Been G4WFT since 1983! I have to say that my operating these days is restricted to a weekly natter with an old mate on 2m and an occasional mooch around the data modes.

One of the problems amateur radio faces these days is the large amount of interference from digital devices. In my own house, the LED spotlights in my kitchen wipe out most of the 2m band, probably from the switch-mode power supplies.

I still buy "Practical Wireless" magazine and occasionally see "QST".

Tim.

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 19/09/2017 10:21:30:

"In a way the incentive for a 'full' license is gone as an 'intermediate' callsign can operate on all bands with 100 Watts (which is all I operate on and which most rigs are capable off without using external power amps)"

Just to clarify ...An intermediate licence can only operate "on the Intermediate frequency allocations at up to 50 watts power " smiley

Steve (M0DOM)

Mea culpa Steve - I should have checked (it was originally 100 Watts but I'm glad to see it was reduced - maybe get some of them to go for the full license now wink ). Now if they would just restrict them on some of the frequencies (same as the opld Novice call where they weren't allowed on 2 metres and so on) it might make a better incentive to progress.

QRM on 2 metres Tim? I was driven crazy with QRM from military 'jammers' which his me at round an S8 24/7. It only stopped when I got a multi-more rig (the FM only ones were wide open to RF coming in on the IF)