Recommendations for good sunglasses

The Wright Stuff

Posted by MaxG on 22/11/2017 16:37:03:

Not sure if I remember correctly but isn't there a problem with polarised glasses and the Tx screens?

If you do try polarised ones try them with your Tx.

Maxg

The polarisation of the LCD screen is linearly polarised, with an orientation that (I guess) depends upon the manufacturer, which is why some of us have different experiences. The sunglasses block all light with horizontal polarisation. If the LCD has this polarisation, you won't be able to see it without rotating the Tx. If the LCD has vertical polarisation, it should appear normally through the glasses. At 45 degrees, it will only appear half as bright, and so on.

That's the theory, anyway. I thought that LCD displays were usually polarised at 45 degrees (my watch is) so I'm a bit surprised that there are Tx screens out there that are completely invisible... Definitely something to check, anyway...

Advert

Hi All

I was flying today near Manchester, cold (barely above 1 degrees) but a crisp clear morning with a very bright sun. I have never found a great solution for flying in bright sun, so last year I bought some varifocal prescription sunglasses (not reactolight, but I chose a brown lens colour to match the frames). Today I just couldnt get on with them, even not looking at the sun I was suffering with disorientation and glare. So, I thought it would be worth trying my normal glasses, which are clear, and the overglasses I bought last year. There was a marked improvement and I have decided that the normal glasses with the overglasses is a much better solution.

The overglasses I got from Amazon - Rapid Eyewear, which I think has already been mentioned. They were about £14, but I have just looked I think you can get them for £12.99. I cant say why they were so much better, but possibly because they stop the glare from the sides as well as the front.

Best wishes - is it too early to say Seasons greetings?

Tim

Well, for completeness:

to follow up on my earlier post, I bought a pair of the yellow overglasses from the Sunglasses for Sport link, and can report they look excellent quality and fit well and very comfortably. There were no issues with crossed polarisation when looking at my Futaba T6J screen - it was nice and bright!

Now for some flying weather...

I've been experimenting with various grades and types of sunglasses for model flying for quite some time now and for me, a cheap pair of clip-on yellow (non-polarised) driving glasses work best. I've tried fairly expensive over-glasses, had photochromic lenses in my specs and even custom made sunglasses to my prescription, they are all inferior for model flying to my five quid yellow clip-ons.

Polarised lenses are good but can be a nuisance when viewing TX and charger screens; normal grey or brown sunglasses I find difficult for flying, as apart from reducing over all, the amount of ambient light to the eyes, in some conditions I find that seeing models clearly against a dark background of trees or landscape can be an issue with them.

Just because some glasses are expensive or a 'quality brand' doesn't guarantee that they be suitable for your particular requirement. I've borrowed sunglasses that others have said were brilliant, but found them totally unusable myself. Everyone's eyes are not the same and it might take a while to find what suits you best.

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/12/2017 08:37:36