Blade CX2 Throttle performance

Gemma Jane

Hi guys,

Have fitted the 'blue' parts to my CX-2 i.e. top bearing holder, heat sink, swashplate set, lower rotor hub.

It seems the heli has lost it's 'zing' it takes more throttle to get off the ground, seems much more docile (i.e. less fun) and flight times have been reduced. It all seems to point to some sort of current drain that wasn't there before.

Everything seems OK with the fitting, spindles move freely etc though if needs be I will swap out the new parts for old to find what is happening, just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same??

Advert

hi Gemma ive done the same as you plus extreme sport kit the heli is not as responsie i think its due to extra weight. i have one with extreme 180 motors which is quicker with the standard parts. i think this is such a good heli as standard the only worthwhile mod is the extended inner shaft to cut down on blade clashes. im going to weigh the 2 today to see the difference in the 2 weights. Kevin

Thanks for the help. I've a feeling now that it might be that the alluminium swash plate has added friction to the set-up, or possibly that the servos are under some sort of greater load since I fitted the new swash plate. I've tried some oil to try and reduce friction which hasn't helped.  I'll swap it out and report back.

I first thought weight, but I'm fairly sure that the rotors are not spinning as fast for the same throttle movement as the stock set-up, advancing the throttle trim gets me closer to the original performance, but flight times are heavily reduced.

hi again Gemma ive done back to back tests on both my Cx2s now the standard one is quicker to climb than the modded one but the modded one is less prone to the wind so i think ive gained on one and lost on the other.. swings and roundabouts. the extreme 180s are  giving longer flight times, getting a good 10 mins. out of my batts. KEVIN

Could be Eric, flown it a couple of more times, now I'm accepting the climb performance loss, it is rather nice. I fly in quite a small room so I do not really need blistering climb performance, the ceiling isn't far from the ground! With the new parts I'm sure it is more stable, I seem to be able to get it in better trim and spot landings etc have improved. Be nice to get just that little bit of performance back though so I shall investigate

Think you had it right Eric, bit of fiddling around with the linkages to the lower blades and checking everything was dead square, throttle performance is much improved. Not quite back to what it was but going by Kevins back to back test that is to be expected. Now very happy with it though, for me the blue parts upgrade was worthing it and I can really chuck the blade about the spare room now

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Hello, Gemma

I think between you all youv'e pretty much sorted what the problems are i dont really have anything different to add but would just agree with what has allready been said. Sometime you know i do things expecting it to be better and sadly its not, Unfortunately i think we some time want to much and if im really honest i think the manufacturers know this which is why they sell "upgrades" after all they want to make money after you by the initial Heli. Im not been so sinicall that this is the only motive but i do suspect it is part of the "deal". And lets face it there is a argument that although you feel you have lost you have also gained so they have upgraded just not how you expected if that makes sense.

My view on it is that the new alloy parts are as suspected producing more friction as metal to metal is surprisingly abrasive, this in turn is adding load to your servos making response more slugish but the whole lot is been held a lot tighter and in smaller tollerance giving less "flex" again feeling slugish on the sticks but also more stable as you have discovered. If it was me i would keep the new parts and as you rightly suggest upgrade the motor esc and gear chain but also change out the servos ffor something more manly.

All the best happy hovering.