Nigel Hawes 45

Philip White

Advert

I do, and have been flying it for a couple of seasons now.

I initially planned to use the geared 600 option, but decided to invest in an Axi 2820/10 and I'm really glad I did.

It really does turn heads (or rather crick necks) when you launch it, point it straight up, (on 10 CP1700 cells) and it just keeps going up.

I did have some issues with glitching using the Axi motor, but this has been cured with the use of an Mtroniks Glitch Free Module and separate receiver pack.

If you're using 8-cells, go for a 12x8 APC-E prop. It does make hand launches more positive than just using the 11x7 all the time (running more than 8 cells on the 12x8 could over amp the motor). Or have you installed wheels? I'm thinking about this as my current club has the use of a runway.

Happy flying

Alistair
PS - When the plans/kits first came out, a number of people managed to snap their tucanos just aft of the wing with heavy arrivals. I installed two diamond shaped 1/64 ply reinforcements either side, and have had no problems - although the covering now has two raised diamond shaped areas each side.

Hello again Alistair, thank you for pointing out the potential hazard, will do the same before going on with the covering! I have gone for the geared 600 motor option, and yes I have the wheels too! Was recommended an APC'E' 11x7 prop to suit the motor/gearbox and 3500 mah 8 cell pack, does that sound right? The wheels look to be the way to go, with more and more clubs getting tarmac strips and my local, is an ex-RAF airbase, with loads of runway open to use! The wheels just look right as well. I have never flown, or seen one of these flying before, are they really that balistic? Would the g/box option be strong enough for ground take offs? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks again, and enjoy the current weather!

Phil

11x7 sounds about right, although you might be able to get away with a 12x8 depending on the gearing. The website is still live; www.tucanobuild.tripod.com
and I think it has some motor advice there.

a ha!

"Using a long ratio such as 3.33:1, a 12 inch prop such as an APC "E" 12 x 10 can be used whilst maintaining current levels of around 25 Amps on 8 cells- this way motor life is prolonged, even using a can motor."

From the Hawes's mouth

I've only ever seen an RAF tucano flying once, whizzing low across the A1 just south of Peterborough, and yes it was going pretty ballistic.

I'm hoping to get to an airshow this year to see one display.

I live in Cambridgeshire, about 10 minutes drive from Duxford, and all I see are blooming spitires.... common as muck they are round here.

The gearbox option should be OK for takeoffs if you've got the right prop. It does belly land very well on grass (but not on tarmac....don't ask). If you have a decent expanse of tarmac you should be find.

Oh - it's a bit twitchy if the CofG is too far back. Not outrageously...but certainly disconcertingly if you're not ready for it.

Check where your packs need to go to get it in the right place.

Alistair

Hi Alistair,
Thanks for the link, all questions answered! (at the moment). I live about 30 Mins from RNAS Yeovilton in Somerset and have been told that there are some Tucanos on training duties, but they are due to be replaced by smaller aeroplanes! :(
Thank you for your advice on the prop etc, did you have any pics of your finished Tuc?
When you mentioned if the c of g is a bit far back,it gets a bit twitchy? is that further back than marked on the plan? Sorry for all the questions, you are the only other person I have met who has even heard of it, let alone who is actually flying one. I just want to make it as right as possible, before 'holding her aloft'
Thanks again, Phil White

Yes - I found that with the brushless motor (which is a lot ligher than the geared speed 600) I had to put the battery packs all the way to the front of the battery compartment to get the CG to the point marked on the plans.

It took me a few hairy flights to work this out, and I've probably flown it with the CG up to half an inch (possibly more) behind the recommended point.

The Tucano is still flyable, it's just a bit more responsive and doesn't automatically pull out of dives.

Otherwise the plane is a pussycat really. It looks really great doing low, smooth figures of eight, big lazy loops, and (making use of the prodigious rudder) stall turns.

Oh - these guys do great vinyl decals for the black and white tucano, or red and white if I remember rightly;

http://www.pyramidmodels.com/

Alistair

Alistair

Hello Alistair, sorry for not replying more quickly, been away on business! Thanks for the web link, they look perfect, not a bad price too! :) I will of course try and make the C of G as accurate as poss, thanks for the advice, and I look forward to gettng her ready for flying/testing July/August time!

Phil White