VC10 plans or drawings

At the age of 14 way back in 1970 I flew back to England from Lusaka(Zambia) on a Super VC10 of BOAC. I was lucky enough to get a cockpit tour. This memory has stayed with me and I've been a plane nut ever since

I've always thougth the VC10 was one of the most beautiful airliners along with Concorde. But searching on the net there seems to be little in the way of plans or drawings. I did find a site with a Radio controlled Ilyushin IL-62 (VC10 clone)but it was only pictures. Does anyone know where I can get any plans or drawings.

I've checked some intersting sites http://www.vc10.net but no luck

My club mates at www.rdmfc.co.uk suggested PSS sites, but I'v had no luck. I beleive there was an article in EFI in march 1999 can anyone confirm that?

I'd like to go EDF but would consider i.c. if thats a possiblity.

I may have to do my own and have bought a book on model aircraft design, but its a bit heavy going, althought I think its getting through.

Thanks for any help/ advice
Keith

Keith, I have a link to a forum referring to the EFI article about the VC10 (with photos)designer was Stephen Glass so, if I am allowed by the moderator will point you to it! Later.If you want to see one there is/was a VC 10 at Brooklands Museum and another at Duxford and one at Cosford, but check first, they may have been moved...Richard

Keith,
If you want to prepare your own plans from scratch, the 1988 Argus book in the Aircraft Archive series - Post-War Jets Vol 3 (ISBN 0852429673) includes scale drawings of the VC10 C Mk1.

Abebooks have some copies listed here: http://bounceurl.com/186l3zsx & there's also a copy on Ebay: http://bounceurl.com/kalob20
item 32010272716.

HTH,

Pat.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Just thought I'd update this post.

VC10 plans are about 80% complete.  I decided its going to be 58" wingspan, with 4 EDF's.  I'm hoping 55mm will do the trick as any bigger looks out of scale.  Even at 55mm I'm pinching a bit.  I won't be using retracts as my field is grass and with it being depron it won't last too long.

I'm going to post the plans up when done.  Its been a real labour of love and I learn't loads on AutoCAD but its been really interesting.  I'd recommend it.

I've got a website at www.keith-howlette.co.uk where I started to document the build.

Should have some build pictures fairly soon

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi

I've printed out the fuselage plan, using an A3 printer and stuck them together.  Its going to be a bit bigger than I thought.  Have a photo on my website of the plan witha tranny next to it to give some scale.  www.rc-keith.co.uk .  I've been moving outrcompany to another location (40 servers and all the cooms equipment) over xmas which hastaken me away from the build.  I should be able to get back on it now.  I'm still undecided about power.  Have been considering using 2 pusher props on the outer engines like graham dorschell has on hs vucan.  My plan is to get it built and then weigh it so as I can decide on power.  I going to aim fro 80-100 Watts per pound.  So once I have the weight i can decide EDF or pusher.  If I go EDF it will probably be 4X 55mm, but these are a squeeze to keep it looking as near right as possible. 

Thanks for the interest.

keith

I've uploaded the plan to my website at www.rckeith.co.uk in the download section.  It's still very much a work in progress and has taken a lot of effort ant research to get this far.  The tail section is drawn but I haven't really worked out how to model it yet.  Once I get the main fuse built I be able to see the wood from the trees!!  I hope

Keith

I managed to contact the guru Chris Golds and he sent me some great advice and details of his VC10 and its going to be towing two jaguars refueling .  Here's the gist of it.

Yes, she should be out in the magazine (Q&EFI) probably April '10 as an article with photos and plan.  Mine is 50 inches span, bungee launched and tows 2x Jaguars on refuelling hoses - great fun!  4x32mm Derek Knight EDFs from 2x1600 3s Lipos (2 fans per pack) and has so much poke that she MUST be throttled back to 50% throttle to cruise without climbing, even towing the 2 Jags!  Without the fighters, you could easily (depending upon how lightly you build) fly 58 inches with NO U/C _ ie off bungee, from these fans.  If you used 50-55mm fans you would be GROSSLY overpowered.  My VC10 weighs 45 ounces and gives 110 watts/pound.  My Sperrin is 74 inches span and uses 4xVASA 55mm fans from 2x3s 3700 Lipos giving 130 watts per pound.  She HAS to be throttled back to about 45% throttle to avoid going supersonic!  And she carries retracts (10 wheels on bogies), flaps and twin dragchutes as well.
I would not go pusher-props as modern EDF units are so good.  The VC10 plan might be of help to you, it is a box-frame fuselage clad with blue foam to give circular section, built-up wing and sheet twil section.  Looks good.

• 6 months later...

Hi Clive i had herd some one was making a gas turbine version  have you spoken to 101 Sqn  brize norton themselves they might be able to give you the right shade or the code for it when i served on 10 sqn we were ask all sorts of questions from modelers and tried to help . will we be able to get access to your 2.5 meter plans to  build  also a few more details would be nice

Thanks

Martyn

cheers martyn
asked brother in law he's at cottesmore but knows the the lads at brize.
mine basicly is a box structure out of 1/4 x 1 with formers off this to make the shape of the fuslarge, then front and rear sections and engine nacells in blue foam.
wings in 3 setions, centre section built up outer panels white foam thanks to wickes.
tail feathers all built up,all this sheeted in 1/16.
radio 7ch futaba 2.4
10 servos 2 aileron ,1 in rudder, 1 elevator ,3 flaps ,2 retracts ,1  steerable nosewheel
2 batteries 1 for flaps and retracts
4speedcontrolers but being as i'm new to lecky fans still working this part out.

regarding the plan no one would be able to work from origanal,but now i've sorted build problems out i'll draw up better one and somehow get it on forum, thanks for interest
 clive

• 5 months later...
Hi Everyone

Well I started this post in 2007 and yesterday the 30th Jan 2011 my VC10 took to the air. It flew very well and here's a link to the maiden on youtube.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kR-nZucRVI Still not finished but this was a proving flight . More detail at http://www.rckeith.co.uk/vc10

Edited By rcKeith on 31/01/2011 22:56:47