Your Transmitter History

Devcon1

Remcon kit + other make of kit Rx
Homebuild from Sprengbrook circuit (also Sprengbrook linear servos with own design servo amplifier) + Micron kit Rx
Digifleet XP/FM
Hitec Eclipse 7, 35MHz then FrSky 2.4GHz module
FrSky Taranis
FrSky Taranis Plus and Taranis QX7 - currently in use
I also have the following in use for firmware development::
9X with voice mod
9X with '2561 CPU and voice mod
9XR-PRO (2 off)
9X with SKY upgrade board - occasional flying use
9X with 9Xtreme board
9X with AR9X board
9X with AR9X board fitted with '4S8 CPU
FrSky Taranis X9E
Prototype FrSky Taranis and Taranis Plus
Prototype FrSky Horus

Firmware on all these radios is er9x/ersky9x

Mike

Edited By Mike Blandford on 09/04/2018 23:35:15

Advert

Posted by Percy Verance on 09/04/2018 18:23:31:

A Sanwa Black Custom was one of the nicest sets I'd seen for a long time. I'm going back to the 80's here though, and such sets were then still made in Japan. I've never owned a Sanwa set, and neither have I seen many being used. They seem to have disappeared from the market these days......

As has been said, I can't imagine Sanwa quality ultimately matching that of Jeti, or the German made sets.

Yes quite possibly so, I have never looked closely at a Jeti but I well imagine it is in a totally different league to the mainstream stuff .

So do we think Jeti stuff is expensive? maybe not really. If we look at the equipment that we flew in the late 70s as quoted earlier we were paying the equivalent to about £1100 or £1200 for most of those sets of radio.

To put things into a further perspective one standard servo would have been the equivalent about 2/3 the price of a modern transmitter such as a 6 channel Spektrum or a Taranis. I have to smile when people think that high spec digital servos are expensive, well yes they are but to pay over £100 for a Futaba servo now is about the same as we paid for a standard plastic geared Futaba servo in the 70s. I suspect if we took it back a few more years you would have had to pay the same, in real terms, for a proportional transmitter as a top of the range Jeti.

Progress aint all bad after all

Back to the Black Custom, The sheer look and feel of the Black Custom stood way out from not only anything else that Sanwa made, before or after, but also from its contemporarys made by Skyleader, JR, Futaba fleet etc. It was like flying with an expensive Japanese camera. Strangely enough though it did not have servo reversing which others were starting to feature. I do however have mixed feelings about servo reversing.

Interesting point about servo cost. Back in the 70s, I remember buying an additional standard Futaba servo (ones with the horrible exposed pins on the plugs)for thirteen quid or about a quarter of the price of a two channel set. Mind you, we probably tended to move gear around between models more then than what we do now.

My Own:

Futaba SkySport6

Sanwa, A brief 2nd hand encounter, can't remember the model

Futaba 6EXA

Hitec Eclipse 7 (35Mhz and 2.4Ghz)

Futaba T8UAP (Hitec 2.4Ghz module)

Futaba T7UAP (Hitec 2.4Ghz module)

Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro

For training purposes all the above plus:

Spektrum (various)

Sanwa (various)

Futaba T6J

Futaba FF6

Futaba Challenger

JR (can't remember the model)

Hitec Aurora

I don't do much training these days but of my own Tx's, these are still in use:

Futaba SkySport6 (simulator only)

Futaba 6EXA (simulator only)

Hitec Eclipse 7 (35Mhz and 2.4Ghz)

Futaba T8UAP (Hitec 2.4Ghz module)

Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro

My very first transmitter was home built from a design in Radio Modeller, called the Singlet Superhet on 27Mhz. I did it the hard way, making circuit boards for the transmitter and receiver by painting tracks onto copper board, etching them with ferric chloride and drilling holes to mount components. It worked well, and I learned to fly with it on a single channel slope soarer with an escapement. The Singlet set was sold and was followed by:

Remcon reeds (on loan from a club mate who had gone ‘propo&rsquo

Fleet 27MHz 3 channel set, the blue square case one with a 9V dry battery

Futaba 4 channel on 35MHz

Then after a twenty year break:

Futaba Skysport 6 (35)

Futaba 6EX (35)

Spektrum DX7 (DSM2)

Spektrum DX6i (DSM2/DSMX)

Spektrum DX7 G2 (DSMX)

All were sold except the Skysport 6 and the three Spektrum TX’s. Now I use the DX6i for parkflyers and the DX7G2 for gliders. The first DX7 isn’t in use at the moment because it needs a new battery.