Some building advice please

Graham Cramp

Evening all,

Some advice please. I have a top flute p47 that I’ve been building on and off for ever. I’m just getting back into it and I’ve previously snapped off the wing rib alignment tabs, it I’ve not sheeted the top of the wing yet. I’m assuming I’m going to have a job getting the correct wing washout now... any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Advert

When you assemble the ribs onto the lower spar make sure their leading edge is in contact with your building board. Then pack up the trailing edge of the wing ribs with scraps of balsa and ply to achieve the correct washout or twist in the wing. Hopefully the plan or instructions which came with the kit will have details of how much washout is required. Just to be clear, the packing will be greatest at the tip and zero at the wing root as the root rib will be flat against the building board (zero incidence). This will not be quite so easy if the wing section is symmetrical or semi-symmetrical. I am not familiar with the Top Flite kit but this is one way of achieving washout. Perhaps someone else who has built this kit can help. If the wing is already built but not sheeted yet, it will be quite flexible so it will be easy to twist the wing to the required washout prior to sheeting. If you have already sheeted the underside of the wing it will be more difficult to twist the wing and pin it to the board, but not impossible.

Another cross post, - you beat me to it!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/05/2018 08:00:49