Flight simulator needed for an Apple IMAC.

Jamie Middler-price

Jamie

I see no one has helped here.

I changed to an iMac a month or so ago having had windows Pc's more or less since their inception. I'm afraid I've regretted it.

I'm prepared to accept the learning curve involved but I don't find many performance advantages over my 5 year old pc (with ssd). Granted there's less cables and boxes and the display is good but the latest Dell all in ones come with good screens and are cheaper. The lack of a back button on the mouse when browsing is a real pain.

The disadvantage as you are finding out is that there is much less software available. There isn't as far as I have found any modern rc flight sim software. This also applies to quite a lot of other categories as well. For instance my solar panel inverter has a little piece of software for me to check its performance installed on my pc. Nothing available for the Mac. Similarly no Power Director video editing software etc...

With Android phones now rivalling the iPhone I really don't see the need to switch to the Mac and I wished I hadn't.

Hopefully, this will resurrect the thread and maybe someone will come up with a suggestion for software we've missed.

hi,

there are a couple of Mac native flight sims for planes, multi rotor and cars. Head over to steampowered.com and look in the simulation or search for RC on the site. RC plane 3 is one with a few options

Or

you could load bootcamp (part of Mac os) on your Mac which allows you to run windows programs on your Mac, then you can run any windows sim or other program. The mac has good graphics and speed. I run realflight 7.5 without any issues at high settings on my mac laptop. If you buy a product called parallels then you can open any windows program whilst in the mac os rather than boot into Windows.

As for connecting your DX8, again you have a couple of options. if you run Realflight under parallels or boot camp the you buy the version that has a usb widget that connects to the trainer port. or look for a product called simstick which is a mini dsmx rx to USB for alternative simulators. You can also go to ebay or Banggood for a 22 in 1 rc sim cable. About £6 from banggood.

Mabx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi.Try Aerofly from the App store, been using it for a few years and its about as good as I have seen. Has a few ‘game’ features but the actual sim is excellent and there’s plenty of online sessions to join. Being an Art Director and linked with professional design and creative applications I’ve used a mac all my life, tried a PC and couldn’t get to grips with it. Of the people I have known who have gone to Apple very few have gone back so worth the effort. If you really miss Windows you can as has been said install a PC partition through Bootcamp and run a ‘native’ Windows PC and therefore all the sims it has to offer. You can pick up a USB adaptor for a few quid off ebay and configure for most makes of TX, Aerofly seems to support these adaptors without issue.

Regarding video editing there are some of the Industries leading packages for the Mac and it is exceptional at this, as it is at image editing, design and audio production. The pre installed packages are are good start. Try adobe.com for a good range of applications if you are an advanced user. 

Edited By BSR on 10/08/2018 22:11:01