Hobbyking Tundra motor

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can advise? I purchased the Hobbyking Tundra model (not the big one) which was not plug and fly. I purchased all the bits and pieces necessary but the motor (Aerostar 950 KV 3636) was out of stock. Over a month on and various promises they remain out of stock at all warehouses. Now, the 3636 seems to be a unique dimension and I have tried making my own X plate to fit an alternative motor of slightly less dimensional size              ( Turnigy Aerodrive XP D2836/9 950 KV) but still 950 KV. It flew like a wet lettuce! Insufficient power. When you look at the specifications for the Aerostar....there are non! Just that it is 3636 and 950 KV (although reports are it is only a 900 KV). Has anyone needed to replace the motor in their Tundra with an alternative? If so, please enlighten me as to its details. I'm normally a I/C flyer and this is my toe dip into electric so, forgive me, if I'm missing something.

Regards to all,

Winco Steve

Edited By Winco Steve on 06/10/2018 15:18:15

Edited By Winco Steve on 06/10/2018 15:19:00

are you using the standard 12x6 prop? if so, I'm surprised you haven't melted your motor!

your 2836 motor isn't rated for anything like the current/power of the standard 3636 - 23A for the 2836 vs. ~40A for the 3636 - so I'm not surprised you're down on performance. I'm assuming you have at least a 40A ESC?

find yourself a 3536 motor of 850-950kV rated at somewhere close to 40A & your Tundra will fly much better! something like this:

**LINK**

(I've linked to the EU warehouse as the UK one seems to be out of stock of all useful 3536's at the moment)

I love my Tundra, so it's well worth getting yours flying right!

Hi all,

Thank you for all your replies. Yes, I have a 40 Amp ESC which is recommended for the 3636. The choice of the alternative (2836) motor was on the advice of Hobbyking! Enough said! I will take the suggestions supplied here on board and hopefully obtain a suitable motor. It just really annoyed me that Hobbyking sells a plane and then is unable, at the same time, to supply the necessary parts to complete the job. The Tundra is a favourite at the club so I will pass the information on to the boys (and girls).

Much appreciated,

Winco Steve

Posted by andyh on 06/10/2018 15:54:36:

find yourself a 3536 motor of 850-950kV rated at somewhere close to 40A & your Tundra will fly much better! something like this:

**LINK**

sorry, my mistake, don't order that one, the current rating isn't high enough. what Stevan mentioned would work fine.

Posted by Percy Verance on 06/10/2018 18:46:49:

Again, apologies for saying it but I imagine most people whom go to HK do so with the aim of making a saving. This is one example of Hobbyking ending up ironically costing someone unnecessary cash........

you'll have a tough time buying a Tundra from anyone but HobbyKing Percy

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning all

Just thought I would post an update. As Hobbyking STILL had no motors in stock a week ago (I believe the EU warehouse have just got them in) I decided to order a 3536 from a store in Madrid (no, I'm not mad, I am in Spain at the moment). This was delivered, by courier, a day later at a delivery cost of €3. The motor was €28. And to my amazement and glee the X mount fitted exactly onto the Tundra mount with no need for adjustment! Result. Prices from Madrid were competitive and delivery very quick (stuff from Hobbyking has sometimes taken four weeks or more to arrive!).

With motor installed conducted a test flight. Bit of trim adjustment flew like a dream. Won't set the world alight but a nice relaxing flyer.

Happy landings to all,

Winco Steve

• 4 months later...