Fliegender Teppich

Nigel R

Advert

Many thanks gents, I'll go for lots of throw and an equal dose of exponential. I'm expecting a fairly low airbourne speed so that all adds up nicely. Not forgetting a careful first launch. I would imagine if torque roll is a problem it can be launched at an angle, I've seen videos of high power deltas and wings thrown at what look like very odd angles, but after the initial torque reaction they end up the right way up (or close to).

As regards CG I'm starting with around 6.5" back (of 31" - 21% I think that works out. The plan of the original larger wood version shows this position. I don't know whether that would be affected by the greater weight and/or WCL of that size. It was indicated to use a cooking 40 on that (at 20" span and 44" length).

There she blows!

Maiden done. And a few more for good luck.

It goes better than I expected. The low loading helps no doubt!

Generally quite well behaved. I got blown around by the slightly gusty breeze. But it seems to be stable in roll, surprisingly. Perhaps the large pilot had something to do with that. It is not well damped though. When blown to an angle in roll, it seems to overshoot when it self corrects, and then the cycle continues. Very disconcerting the first few times but now part off the experience.

Slow speed high alpha type harrier flight is good fun. Backwards in a 7mph breeze. Balanced on the throttle of course. At a high angle the pilot ceases to provide a good rudder and it starts falling out of the harrier.

It is not so very good at loops. A roll or two is over in a flash. Interestingly the stability mentioned above means that the first part of a roll where it is upright, is quite slow. The second inverted half is rather faster. Again this caught me it the first time but is part of it now.

More Right thrusts is needed. I guess the airflow from the prop is split by the wing and the flow over the top is giving a strong tendency to turn the thing left at higher throttle settings.

Must decorate it now!

• 4 weeks later...