400 Size Seaplane

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Nick ...

Thanks for the info .. thinking about the flights with the Walrus it does not need much aileron to start a turn and I do need to put some opposite in, to hold it in the turn . Its a certainly feels very different compared to other scale planes i've had, mainly ww2 fighters ... I'm afraid I've not tried it on the water yet, it's not been sealed against water .... yet , or painted.

Might take a while with work etc .. and the fact I've already started to build a 400 size fun fly, very similar to a Limbo Dancer or Couger. Wings are complete just doing the fuselage.

Work etc! How tiresome! Then you come home from work and get extremely unpopular if you spread aeroplane parts all over the kitchen table. I overdid it with the Catalina - 7ft wingspan and all from plans, not a kit.

400 size fun fly does give you a lot of bangs for your brownie point. I mean I don't like to buy ARTF, but a small kit does go together quickly without too much collateral damage to goodwill at home. Then you can nip out to the park at lunchtime or on the way home. I have a spaniel who gets his exercise at the same time, chasing after them.

Haven't tried to fly the Catalina from water yet, though I did some successful handling tests on a small pond. before I broke it trying to loop-the-loop. The elevator linkage wasn't beefy enough to pull out of the initial dive and it came down for a heavy landing, requiring a return to the kitchen table, etc etc.

Hi Nick ...

Sorry to hear about the Catalina ... hope the repairs go well.

The wifes been really good about the plane building because I've not built one for nearly a year. I been into fast electric speed boats for the last couple of years. So have been concentrating on them, and Heli's. Although I still have a F27 Stryker foamy to play with. With upgraded motor and cells of course.

I don't usually build from kits either, the Walrus is scratch built as is the 400 fun fly or will be when I finish it !!.

I've had only one true ARTF and that was the Ripmax Spitfire 600 size. Went very well with a Megga 22/20/3E Brushless motor on 8 x IB3800 NiMH Cells and a Cam 9 x 6 folding prop.

I'm actually looking for a good subject for that same power train at the moment. Thinking of maybe a ME109 or maybe doing a 600 size Pushy Cat type.

I'll have to spend a few hours on my CAD pack and see what I can figure out for the 109. I drew up some rough plans for the 600 size Pushy Cat a few months ago but never got round to building it because someone at my local model boat club said they wanted a Walrus for scale day, and I got tied up with that.

Oh the joys of R/C models ...

Yup!

I thought the Ripmax Spitfire looked really good. I don't think you could build a balsa plane with solite covering for that price.

The 600 size Pushy Cat looks as if it could be a lot of fun. I'm a big fan of the kits from Stevens Aero, you can buy them in England from www.electric-planes.co.uk. They've got an Edge 540 which I think would suit your size.

I wonder what size they'll do with the plans of the Hawker Typhoon they're decided to build on this forum.

you'll have to take the plunge with the Walrus sooner or later!! post a photo.

Hi Nick...

I will have a good look at that site. The Ripmax Spit was nice but I didnt like the tail snakes. Both rudder and elevator are by snakes supported at the servo end and where the exited the fuselage at the rear, but no supports in the middle, at least on mine, quite a long unsupported run. This allowed the snakes to flex under load and I had control problems at high speed, i.e coming out of a dive etc. I replaced the snake runs with old stlye hardwood rods with 2mm piano wire ends, solved the problem for me. Flew great after that.

Allo Bustergrunt ...

The Walrus is OD. I got the 3 view from Eduardospage, (hope I spelt that right). anyway if you do a Google search for Eduarospage you'll get there. Excellent for 3 views.

I then imported the 3 view pic into my CAD pack, resized to a 30 inch wingspan and then traced the outlines. I didnt need ribs or the like as I used 1/4 sheet balsa for the wings and 1/8 for the tail bits. There was no plan drawn as such, just the outline.

The hardest bit was the motor mount which is just a layered up balsa box sanded to shape with ply motor mount on the end. All cabane struts where 3 or 4 mm carbon rod, mainly becasue I had it and it made for a quick build.

Hi Glenn - control problems at high speed, that sounds familiar. I've spent many happy rebuilding hours as a result of flimsy linkages and under-powered servos for the elevator. 'Course there are also some muppet moments due to the extension lead for the elevator servo coming unplugged or better still, trying to hand launch without remembering to check the servo reverse switch on my transmitter - that was a short and dramatic flight!

I've just posted a picture of my Aquastar, it's a lovely little plane. I amended mine by installing ailerons and it flies beautifully. I would stay away from water except on calm days though.

Hi Nick ..

The Aquastar looks very nice, as do the rest of the models. I really like the look of the Gladiator. BTW hows the repairs going on the Catalina ..

I'm still working on the Fun Fly 400, typeing this as the glue sets on the front former actually.

Don't think I'll get round to the 600 size model for a few weeks as I've got a Mini GTM Rigger Hydroplane,(boat), to build for my 12 year old. Bought it unbuilt really cheap from a mate. Should go well on a 4000 rpm/v brushless ... LOL. Hope to get about 30 - 40 mph out of it.... but enough about boats ..

• 7 months later...

Hi ...

The Aquastar looks great ... let me know how she flies as I'm interested in buying one. Some of the lads at my boat club are building seaplanes for more watery fun. Boats get boring ...LOL

Just uploaded a couple of pics of my 400 Funfly to the Gallery.

Flies well on a brushless 400, 2000kv on 8 x 1400 NiMH cells and a 7 x 5 APC-E prop. Will ROG, do any manouver I can throw at it except prop hang. Needs a outrunner and 3 cell Lipo for that I think ...  will probably fit one in the new year.

Have fun ...

It flies so good,...i sold it recentley. seriously though, I'm going to get another and mod it a bit to make it better I reckon we're off to Florida on Hols next year and at $34 a shot, i'm going to bring a feew kits home and flog them to some club mates...

As an R/E plane, it flies nicely on brushless and LiPo, 15 mins on a 1200 lipo easily

Hello guys!

The Limbo dancer looks really good, Glenn, and I was admiring your Polikarpov BG.  Did that come in a kit?

Summer's been good to me.  I can just about build planes as fast as I crash them.  I set the Aquastar on fire when water got in the ESC!  The Catalina is well under control nowadays, very slow and dignified.  Though I did manage some barrel rolls and loops without mishap.  It's actually harder to handle on water than in the air and I'm a bit scared of running out of battery before I get it to the my side of the lake.  That big tail just means it wants to go upwind all the time.

My present project is a Depron Lancaster, 5' wingspan from Green Air Designs.  I flew it once before it was painted and finished.  Now I'm waiting for some fine weather to complete a proper maiden flight.  It looks really impressive and has a great presence in our front room.  P'raps I should just turn it into a coffee table.  The weather forecast looks terrible.

My favorite 3D plane was a Stevens Aero Stella, which went beautifully for a couple of years before I got carried away trying to do something clever too close to the ground.  I had to fetch a bag to put the bits in.  So now there's a space in my garage for something like that Limbo Dancer.

Cheers

Nick

If anyone is feeling adventursome I have a file sumwheres on my PC for the plans of a MC72 that you can print out with  'Tile Print' to any scale,I can pass them on to other model makers as long as they are free.

Quite tidy plans as i recall and if you want to go totally crazy fit the contra-rotating prop system recently featured in the mag, would make one hell of a model down the pond!,

best regards,        Terry

Hi all ...

Nick ...

thanks for the nice comment about the Mini Limbo Dancer, its loads of fun. But ... what's a  Polikarpov BG when it's at home ??? ... The only other pics I uploaded, a while ago now, were of a prototype Supermarine Walrus, 400 size again. Sadly it resides in the great bin liner in the sky now ... Ooooops.

Already on to my next project, a ME109-E ... started skinning the fuse last night. Still loads to do though.  This ones a bit bigger, about 48 inch span. Using a Megga 22/20/3E for the grunt. With 8 x 4300 NiMH for the batts.

Terry ... 

THe MC72 looks cool. Your right, it would REALLY cause a stir at the boat club .. LOL. I'd love to see the plans .

All the best .. 

Polikarpov??

Bustergrunt has one on his gallery page. A scale-ish model of a stumpy little Russian fighter.  Looks like fun to fly.  That guy has a lot of interesting planes, eh?

MC72, I just looked one up one in Google.  What a beauty, looks a bit like the fore-runner of the Spitfire, Supermarine S6.  The Italians had some very good engineers in those days.

Cheers

Nick

I use 'Tile Print' quite a bit for printing out plans downloaded off the net or sent to me as DXF / DWG / Jpeg etc files, its available for free download at www.blackflight.com but you have to pay for the activation code but its quite cheap.

'Tile Print' allows you to call up a plan file then by using the ruler button you give a measurement between two points say the wing span, it will then adjust all measurements according to that single measurement and you can then print the whole plan with register marks to stick all the A4 bits together, with care it is very accurate.

I trim off the edges where needed to the register marks so I can match up to the next ssheet and glue them together with Pritt Stick and up to now have had no problems at all, you can scale very accurately with 'Tile Print' and well worth having on your machine,

regards,          Terry