Wot is this plane?

Phil Winks

Advert

Sure was Dave ahh all coming back to me now god this makes me feel old also has any one noticed that most of the former  eastern block air craft were so much bigger than most of ours on a like for like basis look at the "hind e" heli gunship and compare it with what I believe was the only equivalent heli in nato at the time the apache longbow nearly double the size very scary when your watching one watching you over a border just knowing that he will be fully armed and locked on

• 4 weeks later...

The Hind E was large because it used to have a detachment of (often) Spetsnaz troops in the back!

Common tactic in Afghanistan (prior to natives getting Stinger SAM's) was to drop the troops off at the back then shoot up the Afghanis's - when they retreated the troops mopped them up.

The Apache has only two crew and no cabin - the only passengers have been 2 Royal Marines strapped onto the Titanium armoured "bath" during a rescue attempt to recover a fallen comrade.