Reworking Ultimate

Bobby

winksurprisedscf6819.jpgdscf6818.jpgfinished polishing the cabane parts with my buffing soap (shame I do not have an adaptor for my buffing mop) but it will have to do, decided to rivet all the parts together but could not remember the rivet spec's so dug out my old ARB inspection procedures manuals and bobs your uncle it's SP85 type L86 material, now just to buy, still have all my old rivet snaps so no probs there thank goodness "come the day". While I was at it decided to repaint my glider fuselage and then fresh lacquer it, now installing gear so here I go again digressing, must be old age. dscf6816.jpg

Edited By Bobby on 07/06/2019 15:40:50

sadlaughsmileydscf6820.jpgdscf6821.jpgdscf6824.jpgdscf6828.jpgCowling job is quite long winded a bit like me I guess, a good finish was achieved by Seagull but my did it take an awful long time to rub down (120 wet and dry followed by 240). I did reinforce the T/E of the cowling before cleaning the inside with cellulose thinners ready for the laminating resin to be applied, this requiring masking up the outside to avoid surface contamination and when dry removing masking only to now apply tape to the outside for the spraying operation to take place, using my old spit rotating lash up for painting the glider fuselage. After a visit to Halfords where I purchased paint then brushes from the Range at a bargain price of £2.99 for a pack of 3 or 4 brushes the filaments are a type called Taklon !. After painting will use the large brush with laminating resin to fuel proof the outside of cowling. the brushes wash out with cellulose thinners so you get to use them again without probs. Found a company that sell dress maker type pins in brass 50mm long x 0.8mm thick for fitting to the hinge position for security in service, have to wait for the weather to improve so I can set up the shed for spraying (blasted weather).dscf6830.jpg

Edited By Bobby on 13/06/2019 13:51:09

• 2 weeks later...

dscf6833.jpgdscf6834.jpgdscf6835.jpgdscf6836.jpgA bit more progress while I await the winds to abate as with my shed door and window open it gets a bit blowy for spraying that cowling , everything is slowly being assembled the servos have been serviced by removing the tops to inspect the gears for wear and then re-greased with my freshly purchased gear grease, cabane now all riveted and installed will not fit the fuse blanks until final assembly , control throws more or less ok for now. Moved internal 4.8v sub c r/x original battery by fitting 2 x 4.8 aa r/x batteries into new front box. Interesting to me was that the 2 x aa bats weight was 225 gr compared to the sub c of 260 gr mega result and then again I found the 4mm rivets weight was 0.552 gr each and the 3mm rivets were 0.257 gr compared to the bolt nut spring washer at 1.186 gr each. Will try to get the pics in order for smileywinkonce. dscf6838.jpg

• 1 month later...

dscf6839.jpgdscf6841.jpgThought I would update as Angela (Wife) has fallen down from our side bank a few weeks ago suffered a compound fracture of the left wrist leaving me to help her dress/undress! Wow this bought back memories!. devil Assembled model to make sure all went together OK, found out why the bracing strip on the cabane assembly had 4mm holes with 3mm bolts fitted as standard the upper wing outer strut holes were a quarter hole out so with the usual time honoured way I gave the cabane a clump (RAF/Fleet Air arm practice) as I did my N/S in the Army came across this in my later life supervising ex service men devil , all is now OK, think I need re training as after two attempts at undercoating the now two cowlings resulting in the need to rub down again for the second time (numpty me), purchased a new can the result now OK, only the top coat and then the fuel proofing coat to do when the weather improves fingers well and truly crossed. dscf6844.jpg

• 8 months later...

dscf6907.jpgdscf6906.jpgKinda lost interest when the cowling fuel proofing went belly up, the non exhaust side epoxy dragged due a contaminate of some kind on the cowling not sure how it happened, after several rub downs and reapplications of epoxy it adopted a slight yellow finish so left as is until a flying day and if I then like the model I will do the cowling again. Some stripes to aid sighting only will change if satisfied. sad  Cheers Paul bit late I knowdscf6852.jpg

Edited By Bobby on 18/04/2020 13:07:41

Hi Trebor, maybe yes if I make it !! very soon to be 84yrs and COPD, have to make very sure venturing out even when the restriction slacken. The good news I got a Tesco home delivery slot and Famous Grouse £16 for 1ltr so purchased 2, therefore God owes me at least long enough to drink them!!. Hope to see you soon. All the very best laughdevil Bobby (Bob2) yes