Motorcycles and model flying

Cuban8

Advert

Posted by supertigrefan on 14/01/2019 19:35:31:

I fancy the 1050 Sprint.

I had one for three years, in fact it was my last bike. I fitted adjustable footrests and Genmar risers to make it a little less racey and it was very close comfort-wise to my Aprilia Futuras. Triumph race cans give them a nice sound without attracting the wrong sort of attention and the exhaust howl is addictive, satnav with camera warnings is advisable!

Strangely the supposed bullet-proof Honda CBR600 (FX model) that I had was prone to occasionally cutting out for no apparent reason, I never got to the bottom of that one as I shifted the bike on when it needed all the suspension bearings replacing for it's first MOT - worn out after just three years? 22,000 miles around Europe and the IOM shouldn't have stressed it that much, maybe it was taking my 20st mate to the IOM on pillion?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 14/01/2019 19:46:27

Posted by Cuban8 on 14/01/2019 13:49:43:

Thanks gents, food for thought. Clearly, an exposed airframe is a non starter, so a simple, practical container that the model (after dismantling) can fit into, mounted on the pillion/rack will have to be made up . I'm only talking about a small foamy type model, perhaps a flying wing, for a couple of hours fun, rather than my big stuff.

Or......this could be my big chance to get into drones - they come in nice strong boxes from what I've seen, and will easily strap to the pillion...........................I jest wink

Haven't got the bike yet, rather fancy the new T-100 Bonneville. Will let you know if anything comes of it.

Edited By Cuban8 on 14/01/2019 13:50:59

Nice bike, but it's going to be expensive when you drop it when trying to park it on the flying field mud or gravel unless you have a hard carpark.

Also, you'll find that the pillion is surprisingly small when you want to strap anything to it. You'll need an old-school type rack. The modern ones are really crappy, mainly because they're tiny.

Having said all that, you'll most likely give it up as a bad idea like I did. I can't drive at the moment, so I'd love to be able to use my motorbike, but it's just not practical, even though I have a lot of very small planes., though if I was really serious about it, I'm sure I could find or make something that would work.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 14/01/2019 19:45:43:

Strangely the supposed bullet-proof Honda CBR600 (FX model) that I had was prone to occasionally cutting out for no apparent reason, I never got to the bottom of that one

Many Hondas of that era had trouble with the contacts on the fuel pump burning, so much so that there's an after-market teplacement kit for them. Symptoms are random cutting out. The same pump was used on many different models:

**LINK**

Edited By Dave Hess on 14/01/2019 20:44:08

Some time ago I was flying at a French flying club about 10 miles from Geneva. I met a French teenager who was flying a 40 powered delta which he had built himself based on the Pete Russel 363. He lived in Geneva and carried the delta in a rack made from wire coat hangers and a little foam. The rack was fitted to one of these little 50 cc mopeds French 14 year olds can drive. The delta had retracts and a removable fin

Nose down and tight to the rear wheel it was a neat job of carrying quite a large model.