Jumper T16

Managed to get hold of the new Jumper Tx. Quite impressed so far. Managed to Bind succesfully to FrSky D8 Receivers (D4R and D8) both managed telemetry as well. Been trying to Bind to X8R Rx LBT protocol. The Tx module does support EU LBT . The Receiver shows as bound ie green led pulsing but the servo output is jittery and telemetry is missing, any ideas out there please?

If its anything like the IRX modules (and I suspect it is) then the EU LBT protocol is only partially supported. This may improve with future firmware releases. In the meantime, you can force your X8R into D8 mode by jumpering a couple of pins during binding.

Not an ideal solution, but it will get you working until the firmware writers get the LBT protocol fully sorted.

According to this document

Protocol details

The EU LBT protocol is not yet fully implemented and may also need fine tuning of the transmitter (scroll to about 1/3 of the way down).

NOTE: These instructions are for the IRX module, double check before applying to the Jumper!

--

Pete

That's great info Pete. I noticed the "fine tune" option in the Tx menu and was not sure what it was about. Thought it odd to achieve a bind and poor servo control and also noticed the green LED flashed rather dim. I thought poor signal ,but surely too easy! I will proceed with caution on the X8R Rx on the bench. Actually I only need the T16 to run D8 Rx's but wanted to find out what was going on! Was not aware it was possible to send a D16 mode Rx to D8 on bind via a jumper. Thank you. Cheers.

The "FrSkyX" LBT protocol in the 4-in-1 multiprotocol firmware doesn't actually do a listen, it just handles the correct data format. I'm not aware of any plans to fix this (and I coded the changes to support the LBT option).

On all the multiprotocol modules I have, I notice the power output when using the CC2500 chip (used by FrSky protocols) is noticeably lower than a "proper" FrSky module. Careful range checking is therefore recommended.

Personally, I only use real FrSky Tx modules for the FrSky protocols because of this.

Note that FrSky are also very unhappy with Jumper as Jumper appear to have basically copied the FrSky X7 (for the T12) and the X10 (for the T16), so taking advantage of all the development work done by FrSky without incurring the corresponding costs.

FrSky provide me with technical data on their radios (under a NDA), to enable me to port ersky9x firmware. I've been waiting over 5 weeks for similar data for the T16!

Mike

Thank,s Mike and Kevin. Re update, the scroll wheel is a bit annoying as it increments every other indent which makes it "slow". Currently only allows one home screen, no big deal but nicer to have options with update. Will try the fine tune on the X8R on the bench. Reading the Github blurb the D8 Rx's can suffer the same tune issue, but mine worked off the bat with great RSSI figure. Software correct for that one ?? Regards to all!

Kevin: That firmware update seems to be for the operating system (OpenTx clone) not the RF firmware, which is something else all together.

Like Mike, I use a genuine FrSky module or Tx for all my FrSky stuff. I bought the IRX module because of its Spektrum compatibility (I have quite a few Spektrum receivers and a couple of Orange ones). The Orange Tx module is not very compatible with DSM-X.

I have tried the IRX module with a FrSky receiver, and it seemed to work OK on the bench without any fine tuning, but if I ever intended flying it that way (I don't!) I would certainly go through the fine tuning procedure.

Mike: Interesting what you say about the power output. I did check the IRX module's output on DSM-X and 2 because of a rumour that it was outputting 200mW. It wasn't! It was the standard 60mW at the terminals. I will check the FrSky output from it later this morning....

--

Pete

Update! Despite the tune procedure to the X8R Rx, it still refuses to work properly. Forget that one till there's update. On a side note i was operating the D8R and 4R Rx's on a DJT Tx module fitted to my aged JR 10S Tx, formerly on 35meg. It all worked fine, alas no telemetry and model matching. The Tx screen was very tired and liable to fail (only had 20 years use!) So along came Jumper T16. I intended to swop out the multi protocol module and use the DJT, which i tried and still no telemetry! Why i do not know. So now on the supplied module and all appears good with D series Rx's so far. Ground range test is probably better than i get with my Horus 12S. So cautious test flights imminent.

Following on from Mike's comments about the power output in FrSky mode, I've just checked my IRX module (I believe this is what the Jumper uses, but I could be wrong!).

The correct output for a standard 2dB aerial is 18dBm (60mW), the boost to 20dBm (100mW) coming from the 2dB gain in the aerial. I used an ImmersionRC power meter for the tests, which has a claimed accuracy of +/- 0.5dB.

On all the FrSky modes (D16, D8, V8 and LBT), mine measured 18.2 dBm (approx 67mW), ie slightly on the high side. On DSM-2 (22mS) it read 18.6 dBm (about 73mW) and on DSM-X it read 19dBm (about 79mW). Again, both these readings are slightly on the high side.

Its a while since I looked at the 2.4 GHz specs, but most similar specs allow an error of up to +1dB. (I'm sure Mike will correct me if I'm wrong!) This would make the IRX module close enough to pass the power test in those modes.

This still doesn't explain Robert's issues though! Did you try binding the X8R in D8 mode, and if so, did that work OK?

--

Pete

Hi Pete, I tried the bind to the X8R in all modes available to me. ie D8, D8 16Ch and 8. EULBT and LBT 8Ch. Also XJT D16. From memory only two of these modes managed a bind at all..... LBT 8Ch and LBT. I carried out the fine tune as per the Github video loosing signal at + and - ends of tune indicated by Red LED, made calculation and set accordingly and Re bound to no avail. I am no Geek where where this stuff is concerned so reliant on you guy's for guidance. I wiil try another D16 LBT X8R just in case! Happy the D8 series kit works anyhow.yes

I have caused confusion Pete, the X8R Rx has never had the jumper used during bind so it has remained on EU Lbt D16 protocol which it had new .Have only tried all the EU bind options on the jumper Tx which clearly do not work for me. To clarify can you tell me which pins to jump during bind to operate on D8 please. ( it does bind and work correctly on my Horus D16 Lbt). Sorry

There should have been an instruction leaflet in the packaging of the X8R with details. At the top of the second side, there is a table marked "Receiver mode and binding operation" which tells you which pins to jumper to force it into various modes. For D8 with telemetry it tells you to join the signal pins of Ch 7 & 8 to force it into 8 channel D8 mode. You don't need to press the F/S button when binding this way.

There are also a lot of other options, such as making it respond to ch 9 - 16 instead of 1 - 8 by jumpering various pins. A suitable jumper and a copy of these instructions should have been in the box, but you can also download instructions here:

X8R

If it works OK with the Horus, that eliminates the receiver as the source of the problem, I would have thought.

--

Pete

Try using a different "receiver number" on the Tx. I know, with the S6R/S8R there is a problem with some XJT modules with some "receiver numbers". I suspect it has to do with the module unique ID. Yo may have a similar problem with the 4-in-1 module.

If you are using an unmodified DJT module then the telemetry data is only available on the connector on the rear of the module.I have modified my DJT modules so the telemetry signal connects to the bottom pin of the module connector (via a resistor and with a diode clamp) so the telemetry is available directly.

Mike

Thanks Mike, the DJT module was not modified as you mention. Explains no telemetry fed to the jumper! Me being thick assumed it would feed data into the Tx via the internal pins. Tried different Rx numbers on bind as a precaution to keep away from existing in use. This is a big curve but getting insight into the kit, too many abreveations, protocols and the price of onions frown

Posted by Mike Blandford on 28/04/2019 17:56:31:

I have modified my DJT modules so the telemetry signal connects to the bottom pin of the module connector (via a resistor and with a diode clamp) so the telemetry is available directly.

Mike

Have details of this mod been published anywhere, Mike? I've seen mods to the ER9X transmitter, but not to the module itself. And does it work with a Taranis, do you know?

(Just out of curiosity, as much as anything else!)

--

Pete

BTW, the firmware on the multiprotocol module is open source, it is NOT a Jumper development (any more than the firmware on the T12 and T16 has any real development done by Jumper).

This is part of the reason why the Jumper hardware is lower cost.

The firmware for the module is here: **LINK**

Pascal maintains this, and has done much of the development. If you use the multiprotocol module please consider making a donation to Pascal for all the work he has done (donate buttons on the page in the link above).

Mike

Yes, I believe all the modules are based on the DIY multiprotocol module, they all run the firmware as available on Github. Jumper did have the wrong chip on the module shipped with the T12. That chip controlled the inversion of the serial data to/from the module, but they should have fixed that.

Mike

Pleased to report D8 Rx,s and Jumper Module work fine with the T16. Telemetry and Range all good. Another question please. There's a new Jumper update available to download for firmware to give multi screen option and improved scroll wheel. Only ever loaded open tx to my Horus 12S, not updated. Can you guy's give me some procedure gudance please? I understand the T16 connects to the latest version of Companion if needed or should I just remove the Card and update direct from PC (windows). Appreciate help. Rob.