Computer problems

Allan Jordan

Is there anyone on this forum that can help me with a computer problem  ?? well two actually

No 1. I can't un-install my old McAfee security programme ( now that i'm with BT I don't need it !

No.2  Although I have downloaded Internet Explorer 7 to my computer the stupid thing keeps telling

that I can't do certain operations as I need Internet Explorer 7.

Please help me before I start eating the furniture.

Advert

Allan you say you're with BT you may need to run the BT Yahoo browser to get their online anti virus and anti spyware running which is a Norton package which doesn't actually load to your computer but works remotely all the time you're live on broadband. The BT browser is itself a version of IE 7 but you can still run other browsers alongside it like Mozilla Firefox .The only browser I've had issues with recently is Apple's Safari which I got as an unwanted add on when I updated my Itunes software, it seemed like a nice browser at first but caused me some major issues and I had to remove it eventually. I've found the BT online anti virus setup works well for me having mainly used AVG in the past.

Allan,

As Eric says, install Crap Cleaner and run it every week, every time you uninstall something also.  Good for cleaning out the rubbish.

Also, if you can get it, a good program is Reg Cleaner, last given away by Microsoft on Win 98 I believe, still use it now.   Still works a treat on Vista despite Microsoft saying it doesn't !!  But it does clean out the registry.

As for AV programs (Anti Virus), none will work with another installed.  You not only have to uninstall the old one, you sometimes have to get rid of the registry entries of the old one too.  They are funny that way !!  And don't go for a free AV program.  Not worth the hasstle.  I know.   Pay for it, get a decent one.