Orange Receiver Telemetry Problem

Hi All,

Here is one for you Orange receiver users.

I own 3 Orange R620X 2.4G receivers which are fitted in 3 different aircraft. All antennas have been relocated many times and are now in what I would say are the optimum positions. The telemetry results from all 3 aircraft are poor with the fades in the 1200 area and the frames around 150. To improve the situation I decided to purchase a couple of R110XL satellites which are supposed to be compatible with the R620X. After fitting the satellites, finding the best place for the antennas, and rebinding, the 3 aircraft were flown again, several times. The telemetry figures are now worse (to my surprise) with the fades now in the 1500 area and the frames around 400-500. I have tried all sorts of combinations of the receivers and satellites to no avail. If I remove the satellites the numbers improve...… Any ideas?

I have to mention that I have now replaced the one setup with a Spektrum receiver with remote and the numbers are now respectable. But it still doesn't answer the above.

Edited By Roger Dyke on 01/07/2019 19:38:43

Advert

Maybe.... I seem to have put so much effort into this topic so far that I'm starting to feel a little bit mentally exhausted. For all my efforts I seemed to have gleaned very little information. Even directly from HK support. It's technical information I'm after, like was given in my other thread by the Spektrum software guy. That was 1st class. I don't seem to even be able to contact the Orange company at all, let alone their technical support. perhaps I'm looking too deep. I suppose as a retired electronics design engineer I probably would.

• 1 month later...

I’ve been using Orange receivers with telemetry without problems until now.

Recently I upgraded my DX9 to firmware version 2.01 - and now telemetry on several models no longer functions.

Any suggestions/fixes out there, please? (.....and please don’t tell me to buy another transmitter 🙂!).

Hi Trapper,

I have been using firmware version 2.01 for a while now in my DX6 and it works fine with my Orange R620X receivers. I'm not sure what the A, B, and F returned numbers mean from the receiver and am currently in a discussion with HK about them. They don't seem the follow the same criteria as the Spektrum ones. No answer from HK yet.

Bear in mind that Orange "reverse engineer" the Spektrum protocol, so 100% compatibility can never be guaranteed. And if Spektrum upgrade the protocol, it can have knock-on effects.

Its well known that the Orange Tx modules don't play nicely with UMX BNF models (the throttle doesn't work!), so I'm not too surprised that some functions on other Spektrum / Orange combinations suffer from oddities after an upgrade! Having said all that, the Orange stuff seems generally to be pretty good.

Moving on to the original question, have you noticed any loss of control on the flights where telemetry logs showed a problem? It is possible to get too fixated on numbers and miss the bigger picture. What matters is that the system actually provides reliable control, numbers not withstanding.

My experience with another brand of 2.4 GHz will give me RSSI beeps long before the signal reaches a critical level, as I discover when carrying out ground range checks prior to flying. In the air, I will get the occasional beep due to aerial orientation issues, but never suffer a loss of control.

After all, we managed for decades without any form of telemetry at all, and nobody worried about it then! I suspect that if we'd had telemetry back in the 27 MHz days, nobody would have dared to fly at all!

wink

--

Pete

When the Spektrum receiver A antenna receives a bad packet, it is recorded and then looks to the B antenna to see if the B antenna has received a good one. If the B antenna has also received a bad packet, then that is recorded and also a frame loss recorded (F). The problem that I was having with the Orange R620X receivers were sometimes I were getting more Frame losses (F) than all of the recorded A and B packet losses added together. How can that be? I have been in touch with HK for an explanation. They said that they would find out and get back to me. It has now been a month and have reminded them twice. Still no answer. In saying all of the above. I have never ever had any Holds (H) recorded or had any sign of glitches or non-control. The receivers have behaved perfectly.

Edited By Roger Dyke on 18/08/2019 09:45:57

Posted by Roger Dyke on 18/08/2019 09:44:29:

In saying all of the above. I have never ever had any Holds (H) recorded or had any sign of glitches or non-control. The receivers have behaved perfectly.

Edited By Roger Dyke on 18/08/2019 09:45:57

I rest my case! It would appear that the recorded numbers are meaningless!

--

Pete