Dynam Albatross

Old John B

Been flying radio models since 1974 and consider myself an average flyer. Always wanted an Albatross and bingo, I saw Dynam had one.

Went together like a dream and looked the part when it was finished.

We have some very good flyers in the club and as I am getting on a bit , I thought I'd get one of them to do the first flight. He found that the rudder was needed to help it turn and it had a tendency to drop its nose.Anyway it came down safely.

My go now. Well it was interesting!!! Using rudder and aileron as one is supposed to it was reluctant to turn right or left and the straight and level flight was anything but.

We had a conference checked the C of G, throws etc and off we went again. It flew me for several minutes, eventually decided that it had had enough and came down, ending up in bits.

Now I can buy spare parts and put it together again but is it worth it?

Is there anyone out there who has one of these, if there is can you give me a few tips. I am sure it is me or the way I built it, after all several hundred must have been sold and successfully flown. What does anyone think that I have done wrong?

Old John B

One of our members turned up with one a year or so ago, Asked the club President to do the maiden checked it over and proceeded to fly it. He announced that it was the worst plane he had ever flown, Manged to get it on the ground in one piece, it was taken home never to be seen again!

On the other hand I was given a Dynam Waco which had already been owned by two other members, what a pussycat it can do no wrong.

John, are you using differential ailerons (more up than down)? Sounds like the model is suffering from adverse yaw; i.e. left aileron causes a yaw to the right which opposes the left roll and turn (and vica versa). A short coupled tail and a small fin and rudder exacerbate this. So too will a rearward c of g, as instructions on RTFs can often be incorrect in this area in my humble experience.

Aileron differential should help and use a little coupled aileron and rudder too.

my 2p worth.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/09/2019 21:32:04

Well chaps , I found your replies very interesting and I will answer you all in the order the mails came.

Tom, all the controls were going the right way we checked before the first flight. I was using 4 cells ,put the C of G in the place stated on the "plan". Where did you see the review I must admit I didn't look for one!

Tim I agree with your President, it is without doubt the worst plane I've flown in the 45 years I've been flying.I put it down to the fact that I'm 87 now and thought perhaps that the old reflexes were getting a bit rusty. My fellow club members never mention the fact that I might be getting a bit slow!!!! They are a grand lot.

Piers, No wasn't using aileron differential. To be honest didn't think of it at the time. You could be on to something here. Anyway ,if I decide to fix it I will certainly put this in.

Old John B

John, It looks to me like quite simply the CG given in the instructions is wrong... It happens.

In my experience, when you get random, inexplicable controllability problems, it's almost always related to a CG too far aft. That may not be the only problem, but when a plane is simply "difficult to control", start by moving the CG forward a bit.

Lastly, don't even think about your age!
This may amuse you. About 3 weeks ago, I went for a quiet evening flying session in a field close to my house, and I just wasn't getting it right. My landing approaches weren't accurate, the landings were a bit "average" and my flying just wasn't "good".
However, I didn't break anything, but I thought maybe I'm just getting old and my reflexes and eyesight are going (I was 80 last week).

It wasn't until I got home and was "putting things away", that I discovered I'd flown through a whole flying session with my reading glasses!
Typing this, it occurs to me that that error may well be due to my age!

Edited By brokenenglish on 16/09/2019 15:01:31